It's been 9 months since I bought my first DSLR.

MikeFlorendo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK it's been 10 month actually since I bought my first DSLR. Started with the Nikon D5200 and 6 months later bought the D750. I know 10 months isn't very long but a lot has happened. We been excepted to 6 juried fine art festivals and waiting for the jury on a few more but in fairness I also make ceramics. I have been jureid into the City of Brea's Art Gallery show Made in California, the Orange County Creatives Blue show in Laguna Beach, Won People's choice, honorable mention and first place in the San Clemente Arts Association's gallery. Had a daily frame in Riptide magazines website and had photo's in ads for Ebodyboarding.

I wanted to say thank you to all that have critiqued my work and help me grow. Here and other sites have really helped me understand my camera and the techniques. I have a long way to go and lot more to learn but thanks to help from people I can say I hit the ground running. I hope this doesn't come off as bragging because I just wanted to show how much people's help has brought me and for those just starting out that it's possible to get good photos your first year.

Here are the highlights.

5/10/2014 weeks after getting my D5200

SC_PIER.jpg

6/12/2014 trip to Chicago
Millenium Park final #4 (1 of 1).jpg

8/28/2014 Daily frame in Riptide Magazine's web page
Kurt_Suhr.jpg

10/21/2014 2nd attempt at Milky Way on road trip through Baja. Photo that is in Brea Show starting 3/28/15
Carolyn_J.jpg

11/01/2014 bought my Nikon D750
foam (1 of 1).jpg

12/07/2014 photo that got into Blue show in Laguna
Mike_Florendo.jpg

2/20/2015 got my new lens filter for Nikon 14-24 2.8
Archsmall.jpg

3 days ago just messing around in Laguna Beach
Shaws_cove.jpg

I see a lot of people just starting out here and I hope they don't give up or get discouraged. Keep shooting!

Last edited:
Wow! Congrats! You seem to be a natural at photography.

Thanks snerd part of it is my compulsive/obsessive mentality. When I find something I enjoy I tend to search for as much knowledge and try to learn as much as possible. It's good and bad depending on what it is. :)

Last edited:
In another nine months, (okay ten), I wonder where you will be? Congrats on an awesome start.

Thanks hopefully selling my art and supporting my house with it 100%. That is my dream so I can basically be retired at 43!

Good for you Mike, good for you! Keep on keepin' on. You live in an area that has plenty of great weather and neat places and people to see and photograph.

Oh yeah if anyone is curious here is my other art. I like the mixture of 2d & 3d art. It balances me and looks good in our booth.

Florendo_1 (1 of 1).jpg

ceramics.jpg

green1 (1 of 1).jpg

Booth.jpg

Good for you Mike, good for you! Keep on keepin' on. You live in an area that has plenty of great weather and neat places and people to see and photograph.

Thanks Derrel I will keep going and hopefully improving both my crafts. Yes Southern CA has great weather but I am yearning to travel but for now small trips. Next few months I want to do Anza Borrego to get Milky Way shots. Then maybe up north to find some coastline and waterfalls. Maybe McWay Falls since it has both. I'm having a blast and hopefully I can make a living out of it.

Not going to lie, came into this thread, read the first few lines and was ready to post a "lenses before body upgrade" since most threads like this lead to them thinking a body would improve their photography when their issues are basics.

Then, I scrolled down. Wow man, you have some really impressive work and definitely a natural eye. You've made a new fan for sure. Keep it up and I'm sorry for thinking you were anything like the normal 10 month photographers ready to upgrade their gear.

Followed on Flickr

Most reactions

Back