Its been a long time but im back to brave TPF critique!

hayleyfraser24

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
hayleyfraserphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I dont think ive posted in a year but I thought I would share some photos for critique. Im not sure why I stopped coming on here, I found alot of critique helpful but my confidence was getting a bashing so I found a photography club and I have been getting tips/advice form other semi professionals and professionals. Its been great, ive made freinds with a very established photographer in my city who has helped me a lot. Its been a slow process for me but I have not given up and now I run a small sideline business along with working full time as a retail manager. I am quite critical of my own work and although I feel I have come a long way I know I still have a long way to go to become the photographer that I aspire to be!

I use continous lighting for these types of photo shoots that Im posting for critique. I use a nikon d7000 with an f1.8 portrait lens and generally shoot between f2.5 and f3.5. I know that you guys dont like loads of photos so I just picked 4 random ones that I wanted critique on.

Im thinking on investing in some flash equipment as I recently did a shoot with some borrowed equipment and boy did I notice the difference. I am posting those in a seperate thread also. I think that flash might bring my photography to the next level. So let me know what you think... I have thick skin now!

1. newborn
lil31of1-14-1.jpg

2. Child portrait
393p.jpg

3. another newborn
408.jpg

4. father and son
2202.jpg

Baby photography is not really my thing, so just keep that in mind ...

#1: Cute hat and pose. Like the color scheme. The color of the baby looks a bit off to me, though. Yellowish?

#2 Nice natural smile. The focus could be a little sharper, imo. She also looks a tad yellow to me. The lighting falls off a little too dramatically on her hair in the bottom right.

#3 My favorite of the batch. Cute expression.

#4 I don't care for the way the father is sitting, but the pose works for me otherwise. Maybe his face could be tilted up just a little more.

Hope that helps. :)

I dont think ive posted in a year but I thought I would share some photos for critique. Im not sure why I stopped coming on here, I found alot of critique helpful but my confidence was getting a bashing so I found a photography club and I have been getting tips/advice form other semi professionals and professionals. Its been great, ive made freinds with a very established photographer in my city who has helped me a lot. Its been a slow process for me but I have not given up and now I run a small sideline business along with working full time as a retail manager. I am quite critical of my own work and although I feel I have come a long way I know I still have a long way to go to become the photographer that I aspire to be!

I use continous lighting for these types of photo shoots that Im posting for critique. I use a nikon d7000 with an f1.8 portrait lens and generally shoot between f2.5 and f3.5. I know that you guys dont like loads of photos so I just picked 4 random ones that I wanted critique on.

Im thinking on investing in some flash equipment as I recently did a shoot with some borrowed equipment and boy did I notice the difference. I am posting those in a seperate thread also. I think that flash might bring my photography to the next level. So let me know what you think... I have thick skin now!

1. newborn

2. Child portrait

3. another newborn

4. father and son

Newborns are pretty good. Skin could be worked on a bit more.

2nd one seems out of focus to me

4th one doesn't work for me

I find 1 and 3 awesome and if they were of my kiddo would be happy that I paid for them I do agree that the skin tone on the first one does seem a bit too cold and pale. I think #2 needed better lighting specifically a hair light as the progressive blackout of the hair leading to the bottom right corner looks off to me. The 4th one I don't like the pose or the coloring, The baby looks like its uncomfortable the fathers face is masked and neither of them are captured in a way causes me any emotional connection or feeling in the photo.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Newborns are definitely your forte! Like another mentioned, I'd be happy if someone gave me those shots of my baby girl.

#2 has a lot of green in it. Also, be sure to check for stray hairs when doing portrait photography - it's kind of strewn across her shoulder. :)

Most reactions

Back