Its Brainstorming Time

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by tr0gd0o0r, Jun 13, 2005.

1. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd like to start this thread off by saying, i'm not completely positive this is the appropriate section of the forum, and if you have to power to move this feel free to do so if you feel it belongs somewhere else.

Now on to the thread. I'm currently working on a project of locally owned restaurants in my hometown. (heres a link to a sample: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22364). I'm worried that while I could successfully document the existance of these restaurants, I''m not sure its going to be an interesting photographic enterprise. I can't figure out how to get shots that won't just look like 20-30 of the same photo w/ a different building in it. Any suggestions here?

I've thought about going inside and getting photos, but I'm afraid there are only some many different ways people eat. And i'm want to use a bunch of velvia 100F for the project, and that might be a little difficult inside a restaurant. Thanks for any help you could provide.

2. deb

deb TPF Noob!

What exactly does your project consist of?

3. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

What you need to do is to sit down and think about what it is you want to document.
    Only when you have some idea of what it is you are trying to achieve, or say, can you start deciding on an apropriate approach.

4. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I have a question.

Does it have to be a full on shot of the restraunt? Why not pick out something and shoot that. Say an old sign, a unique entrance, even interesting table settings or menus. Try keying in on something very small. Don't make it so accessable, try challenging the viewer.

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly. I looked at your sample, and it's a great old restaurant. The building has character and, I'm guessing, so might the occupants/owners. :)

What do you want the project to say? How do you want your imagery to stand out?

I'd be thinking of shooting different formats, some color, maybe, but definitely some B&W. I'd be thinking the Yashica, digital (if you must) but also Holga - you see? Let your camera choice help you catch what you are trying to convey.

Shreveport is an old Louisiana town.....are you trying to capture the vibe of the places, or the locals?