It's just all a number's game.

The first few replies I gave the agree code to, because I agree with almost everything that was said. I think #OptimizeAsianIsReallyTheKeyToInstagramLikes.HilariousTypoThereTextToSpeechInANoisyEnvironment . I'm going to leave those hilarious typos there. Again hashtags are very important. I don't use my Instagram much. But I tried #IngWithPopularTagsAndGot6To10TimesAsManyLikesAsWithNoTags

Haha yeah. You can't go wrong with french fries.

It's kind of the same thing for me. If I post nature shots, I get likes. If I post pictures of car stuff, I don't get many likes. Except from friends. It's odd.

I often write descriptions in my IG posts and some people will write back with comments about it which means they actually took the time to read it, they didn't just double tap and means more to me than just a like. But kind of makes you feel like crap when you are use to photos gettin 30-60 likes and then one or two photos with 10.

I bet it has a lot to do with algorithms too.
Cars are very subjective. First they have to (a) like the car, (b) like the colors, (c) like any add-on parts, and after that ... (d) like the shot

For instance. I like motorcycles. But you'll get a like on only certain motorcycles. For instance a Ducati ST or SS. But not on a 996 or newer or the Monsters, etc. And preferable in RED. not in black or white or anything like that. And probably no harleys .. a handful of Hondas in certain colors, and a Triumph or two. And probably all Aprilias no matter the color, even their scooters.

But you may get a like from me on french fries, with or without mustard, or ketchup or chili, hot peppers ....

so I'm peculiar on one item, but no so much on another.

I noticed that most people will like on anything on Instagram if it's colorful enough.

Regardless. Why should I waste my time trying to gain views, likes & comments? Is it worth the effort trying to pursue? I'm thinking I should just post share my photos like I've been and if people like it, then they like it. If not, then oh well. But I probably shouldn't feel down if a particular photo doesn't get any recognition even if I think it's a great photo, they don't need to like it. I do.

Seriously? You honestly let a bunch of people you don't know determine whether you get fulfillment from something you truly enjoy?

Word of advice: The hell with em'. Who cares?

Take note of photographers you admire and over time you will subconsciously start to emulate them in ways. You probably won't notice but your photography will improve. Just keep in mind that unless you are trying to sell them to someone else there is one and only one person anywhere in the world that has the final word on your photos, and that's you. Most of us reach that point sooner or later but it's up to you as to whether you put the camera down for good before you get there.

Seriously? You honestly let a bunch of people you don't know determine whether you get fulfillment from something you truly enjoy?

Word of advice: The hell with em'. Who cares?

Take note of photographers you admire and over time you will subconsciously start to emulate them in ways. You probably won't notice but your photography will improve. Just keep in mind that unless you are trying to sell them to someone else there is one and only one person anywhere in the world that has the final word on your photos, and that's you. Most of us reach that point sooner or later but it's up to you as to whether you put the camera down for good before you get there.

But isn't it wrong to emulate another photographer?

here's a test
take a picture of yourself .. in one hand holding a container of french fries and in the other enjoying eating a few

see how many likes you get
make sure it's a cellphone shot .. and not a very good one at that.

that should show you how unimportant 'likes" are

Do you adhere to the so-called "Rule of Thirds" from time to time? Then you are already emulating somebody. Do you read and learn from what you read and use the advice? Then you are already emulating somebody. Do you listen to advice given here and then try it yourself? Then you are already emulating somebody.

Everybody emulates others in one way or another. But we temper that emulation with our own style and what we have learned from others, and the combination becomes uniquely ours own.

here's a test
take a picture of yourself .. in one hand holding a container of french fries and in the other enjoying eating a few

I don't wanna get harassed taking picture of someone eating fries.

Do you adhere to the so-called "Rule of Thirds" from time to time? Then you are already emulating somebody. Do you read and learn from what you read and use the advice? Then you are already emulating somebody. Do you listen to advice given here and then try it yourself? Then you are already emulating somebody.

Everybody emulates others in one way or another. But we temper that emulation with our own style and what we have learned from others, and the combination becomes uniquely ours own.

Good point, I didn't think about it in that way.

Now, do you think photography is considered an art form? I was reading a comment today about how photography isn't a true art form as you are only taking pictures of real life that's already there, you didn't create anything like a painting or something. Basically plagiarism. Is that what a lot of people think photographers are?

Good point, I didn't think about it in that way.

Now, do you think photography is considered an art form? I was reading a comment today about how photography isn't a true art form as you are only taking pictures of real life that's already there, you didn't create anything like a painting or something. Basically plagiarism. Is that what a lot of people think photographers are?
In my opinion, as soon as someone comes up with a single firm and true definition of "Art" perhaps that question can be answered correctly. Some people do think photography is an art form, some don't. I personally feel that photography doesn't have to be art but it can be if the photographer, or the person viewing the photograph, so desires. Is a photograph of a smiling child or a cat sleeping in a window art? Maybe and then again maybe not. It just depends on how it is interpreted and what the particular person's definition of "Art" happens to be.

here's a test

Put it on continuous mode, and you might get some funny ones of them trying to yell with fries in their mouth?

here's a test

Put it on continuous mode, and you might get some funny ones of them trying to yell with fries in their mouth?
if he wants to make it more artsy, wear mirrored sunglasses and show the back end of the container with no emblem, but through the glasses see the container emblem. So much one could do visually "animating" just eating french fries to get a bunch of likes.

Stop it. I'm getting hungry.

The first few replies I gave the agree code to, because I agree with almost everything that was said. I think #OptimizeAsianIsReallyTheKeyToInstagramLikes.HilariousTypoThereTextToSpeechInANoisyEnvironment . I'm going to leave those hilarious typos there. Again hashtags are very important. I don't use my Instagram much. But I tried #IngWithPopularTagsAndGot6To10TimesAsManyLikesAsWithNoTags
This, definitely.

If you really want to up the number of likes based on hashtags, pick hashtags that don't have as many photos attached to them. For example (I'm making up numbers here), say #love has 43 million photos and #loveall has 4,000 photos. Your photo is likely to get noticed more in #loveall than #love.

And then realize that you just spent 30 minutes trying to pick out the best hashtags that upped your like count by 10%. And that half of them are just bots that automatically liked your photo based on what your hashtags were. Oh, that new follower? You posted french fries? Now you have 5 new followers that are "health" or "food" related accounts that automatically followed you based on your hashtags to get you to follow back. They'll automatically unfollow you within a day.

And then finally realize that in the end, you're not any richer.

Even the time of day matters on IG. If you post a photo of your lunch at 12 PM EST, you're going to get people on the east coast eating lunch, browsing IG, liking your photo. If you post a photo of your lunch at 3 PM EST, you'll probably get people from the west coast liking your photo. Think of the commute home, as well. If you want likes, people on the commute home, people on the train home in NYC/other large cities between 4 and 6, generally. If you post at 7, you probably missed the rush of people that have their face in their phone, because now they're eating and taking pictures of their dinner plate.

And, someone mentioned the algorithm? Yeah, good luck getting to the top of your followers' feeds if you don't post regularly and they don't like your posts.

It's a rat race that is extremely difficult to get ahead in.

Most reactions

Back