it's not just about the doors ;)/added picture II

interesting shot, its a bit overly sharp for my taste. It could also use a bit more depth to it as far as colors go. I also like to shoot pictures of doors. I had a little photo theme a long time ago with rustic doors.

I also think in the case some vignetting would be great to draw in the eye.

I like it. I don't see it as over sharp so much as it feels like a painting or a drawing.
I love the subdued colors. If anything, I think I would crop the left side so that the doors weren't in the middle of the frame.

Edit: I tried my suggestion and I'm not sure the crop works any better than your original. [shrug] ;)

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind, I cropped it to a vertical format.

15703124076_1c8799c77d_c - Version 2.jpg

(edit) I don't like the doors being centered in my cropped version, but I was trying to minimize the distracting elements to either side of the doors.

Last edited:
I love this, Marija!

I like Designer's crop too. But right now, I am WAY too tired to trust myself to really "SEE" it, so I'm not going to give any more critique than that. Just that my first impression is that it's really interesting!

I like it just the way it is Maria without crop.

It seems a little disorganized to me, with the left and right sides not really working together. To me the arrangement of stuff on the right-hand wall is more interesting, so moving to the left and shooting more directly towards that wall, with the doors on the left edge would have worked better. My two cents, fwiw ...

interesting shot, its a bit overly sharp for my taste. It could also use a bit more depth to it as far as colors go. I also like to shoot pictures of doors. I had a little photo theme a long time ago with rustic doors.

I also think in the case some vignetting would be great to draw in the eye.
I need to definitely do the lasik! This is the second photo I got "too sharpened" comment :) In my defense, Flickr additionally sharpen photos, my original isn't that sharp.
About the color, I just thought they're appropriate the way they are

The vignetting is already done :)
I don't like noticeable vignette. I think I have just one picture or two maybe where I did a heavier vignette. Tbh I add vignette on 95% of my photos, a viewer is just not aware of it :)

I have dozens pictures of doors. Just love to shoot them, they tell great stories.

Last edited:
I like it. I don't see it as over sharp so much as it feels like a painting or a drawing.
I love the subdued colors. If anything, I think I would crop the left side so that the doors weren't in the middle of the frame.

Edit: I tried my suggestion and I'm not sure the crop works any better than your original. [shrug] ;)
I was afraid of what you'd say when I saw you commented :)

This was actually very difficult to shoot. I was standing on "pieces of whatever is left of one of the collapsed walls" which are completely covered by some wild and high greenery and iron stuff and I was asking snakes not to come and bite me before I take a shot.

The right wall had more than enough light but the ceiling and the left wall didn't so I hoped I could do something in the pp.

I took and processed it about a month ago... I just wasn't sure about it. Anyway, I realized that I wouldn't do anything different regarding pp.

I cropped it this way in the last minute. The doors were actually more to the right. I decided to crop this way because there was just too much grass in the foreground and I didn't want to lose the ceiling and much of the wall.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind, I cropped it to a vertical format.

View attachment 88857

(edit) I don't like the doors being centered in my cropped version, but I was trying to minimize the distracting elements to either side of the doors.
I changed the title... I didn't wanted this to be just about the doors, otherwise I would shoot just them. I wanted walls and all distracting elements in the picture.
I wanted you to look around and find bags and clothes and leftovers of something that was home to a family.

I love this, Marija!

I like Designer's crop too. But right now, I am WAY too tired to trust myself to really "SEE" it, so I'm not going to give any more critique than that. Just that my first impression is that it's really interesting!
Please don't get rest and realize that the picture sucks ;)

I like it just the way it is Maria without crop.
you know what I want to hear :)

It seems a little disorganized to me, with the left and right sides not really working together. To me the arrangement of stuff on the right-hand wall is more interesting, so moving to the left and shooting more directly towards that wall, with the doors on the left edge would have worked better. My two cents, fwiw ...
yeah... I was thinking exactly the same but I couldn't physically approach and move myself to the spot I thought it would make the best composition and the best photograph.
I could stand just there and not move to either side. I doubt many people would go there in the first place :)

I also doubt that anyone will clean the backyard from the rocks, walls, woods, iron stuff and all... If they clean a bit I'll definitely come back and shoot again

[Your door photo was pretty good. I played with it some cropped the left side, but the door over toward the left on the edge of the frame, considered your sharpness (too much?) but when it was all said and done I had nothing substantial as it was all pretty much personal preference I was considering and didn't change the photo enough for better to warrant disregarding your own personal preferences or suggesting the change. I would have cropped down the left side and put the door in the corner of the frame but that is me I tend to not like chit centered.
Your English makes me feel so much better about my English! :)
I also don't like things centered.
This is a tough one regarding the composition I agree

I don't like noticeable vignette. I think I have just one picture or two maybe where I did a heavier vignette.
Overall I think it works for the picture.. And I love this one too.I love the contrast between the roof and the walls.. I like it the way it is, if I had to, I'd probably just get rid of the white rag on the right side in photoshop. Nice shooting Maria :)

I don't like noticeable vignette. I think I have just one picture or two maybe where I did a heavier vignette.
Overall I think it works for the picture.. And I love this one too.I love the contrast between the roof and the walls.. I like it the way it is, if I had to, I'd probably just get rid of the white rag on the right side in photoshop. Nice shooting Maria :)
oh no! not the rag!

;)

thank you Raj!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back