It's not the camera, it's the photographer: Photo Assignment

Taken with a Panasonic DMC-LX5 P&S

2011-09-09-P1000846-M.jpg

We have probably all heard that adage by now but let's put it to the test. Post your best picture using a point and shoot camera or a cell phone camera. No due date, no competition, just show us what you can do with limited gear.

Here is mine taken with a cannon s90 (in a waterproof case obviously):
Kim_Complete.jpg
There is no test. There is a reason why professionals use top quality equipment. Half of the examples in this thread missed focus or are blurry. The other half were taken in broad day light. Sure, in broad day light, there isn't much difference between a capable camera and a point and shoot. In most other conditions, the differences are night and day.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove, but Posts 2, 9, 11, and 17 are the only ones I would consider decent, and they were shot under ideal conditions.

There is no test. There is a reason why professionals use top quality equipment. Half of the examples in this thread missed focus or are blurry. The other half were taken in broad day light. Sure, in broad day light, there isn't much difference between a capable camera and a point and shoot. In most other conditions, the differences are night and day.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove, but Posts 2, 9, 11, and 17 are the only ones I would consider decent, and they were shot under ideal conditions.

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It is not about who has a bigger lens or who has a more expensive camera. A normal point and shoot camera is far more advanced that what Ansel Adams was working with. My point is that they should not be disregarded and looked down on because in capable hands, even a P&S can produce excellent images. This is just a fun thread, no need to get over critical about it.

Here are some more taken with my canon s90- some of which were taken in "less than ideal conditions" and non of which have been edited (except for crops).

163212_1525765550321_1420119798_31150173_630923_n.jpg

250384_1902126879119_1420119798_31627913_8271599_n.jpg

164301_1511186785861_1420119798_31114700_709081_n.jpg

67791_1436104308846_1420119798_30978821_2905272_n.jpg

71528_1436105708881_1420119798_30978826_6625646_n.jpg

36163_1436092908561_1420119798_30978778_6292075_n.jpg

I agree with Snakeguy. I don't think it's about the equipment, to me it's all about the eye of the person pressing the button on the camera. Just because you can afford the best "professional" equipment, doesn't make you a professional photographer.

I found this quote on Flickr
"A photographer is the one who knows where to stand, where to look, what to see, how to use the camera to capture that very moment of life for the generations to come."
~ The Visions of Kai

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It is not about who has a bigger lens or who has a more expensive camera. A normal point and shoot camera is far more advanced that what Ansel Adams was working with. My point is that they should not be disregarded and looked down on because in capable hands, even a P&S can produce excellent images. This is just a fun thread, no need to get over critical about it.

Here are some more taken with my canon s90- some of which were taken in "less than ideal conditions" and non of which have been edited (except for crops).

I won't critique the photos since you didn't ask for it.

In any case, Ansel Adams also returned to the same spot just about every day for a year to capture the shots that he did. He then spent considerable time in the darkroom editing them. I spent a long time trying to get the shots that I wanted out of a P&S. Too long. I spent too much time trying to get the results I wanted with a DSLR and a fast prime.

It wasn't until I combined flexible gear with a control of lighting that I began to see results that I could be proud of. Yes, great shots can be made with minimal gear, but there is a reason that advanced gear exists. Consistency. I consistently take photos that I am proud of in all kinds of conditions. I could not do the same with a P&S.

I don't mean to be critical to your 'just for fun' thread, but you opened a discussion implying that 'limited gear' could produce equal results with the proper photographer. You shouldn't be offended when somebody disagrees with that assertion. Yes, in controlled or ideal circumstances, just about anybody could take a great photo. Honestly, photography isn't that hard. You set three variables, push a button, and do a bit of editing. Nothing too complicated especially since most of the variables are predetermined. ISO depends on the available light and the camera's abilities. Shutter speed is usually the fastest available depending on the aperture. Heck, most settings in any situation not outdoors in broad day light or with studio lights are completely dependent upon the limitations of the gear a photographer is using.

When I shot weddings with my d90, I was wide open for the aperture, at as high an ISO as I found usable, and at as fast a shutter speed as I could and still properly expose the photo. There were no creative choices. There weren't any options. It was ISO 1600, aperture 2.8, and a shutter speed of around 1/30th of a second on a tripod. At that point, you could put anybody in that position, tell them to push the button, and get the same shots. Now, I am using a D700 and will go up to ISO 3200, aperture 2.8 and a shutter speed of around 1/60th of a second. A P&S simply cannot shoot in those conditions. Camera settings have almost nothing to do with creativity or 'art' in most circumstances. It is completely dependent upon the situation and the light level. Weddings aside, even if you are shooting in broad day light, you use a small aperture, base ISO, and sync shutter speed and hope your flash is powerful enough to bring the subject up to the background(or find some shade, use reflectors, or just deal with the raccoon eyes in post). (and most P&S's can't utilize an external flash which would make it even worse)

There aren't any secrets. There aren't any special recipes. Almost every decision made by a photographer is influenced by his gear limitations and the conditions he is shooting in. Sure, there are some creative 'flyer's' and some of them turn out great, but they aren't a high keeper percentage and you never know if they are going to work out.

I'm sorry to dispel so many myths in one post, but, seriously, it's not that complicated. There are only 3 settings on the camera. The conditions aren't always controllable and most people can't revisit the same site for months waiting to get the right shot. Equipment matters. It allows you to control the situation instead of it controlling you.

I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings. No, not everyone can afford the gear necessary to shoot in just about any situation they encounter. Heck, most can't. Heck, I can't. Sometimes you just have to pack up your gear(or put the P&S in your pocket) and realize that you don't have the right tools for the job.

In any case, to imply that a P&S is up to the same task as a properly outfitted pro is just ridiculous. I don't care who is behind the camera.

what myths have you dispelled exactly? Im certainly not saying that point and shoot cameras are better than a Nikon FX and you don't need to explain the exposure triangle to me. Once again- all this thread is about is good shots that were taken with a P&S. No one is making any claims and it is silly for you to argue about it.

I agree with Snakeguy101, I don't see why you took the whole thing so personally Kerbouchard, I'd expect this kind of comment from a hurt and pricey DSLR:p

what myths have you dispelled exactly? Im certainly not saying that point and shoot cameras are better than a Nikon FX and you don't need to explain the exposure triangle to me. Once again- all this thread is about is good shots that were taken with a P&S. No one is making any claims and it is silly for you to argue about it.

I'm not trying to argue or explain anything to you. 2, 9, 11 and 17 are decent shots.

So far, IMO, there has only been one really good shot posted in this thread, and that was from Orionsbyte. Most of the rest look like P&S snaps. If you want to see examples from P&S's fine, if you want to have a thread about P&S images, fine, but don't make a thread called "It's not the camera, it's the photographer" and then get offended when somebody tells you that you are wrong. That would be silly.

I explained to you why the camera matters. I explained to you why the decisions that the photographer makes are usually based on circumstance and not on creative choice. Actually, I'm not sure what else I can explain to you. Like I said earlier, it's really not that complicated.

I'm not offended and it was not I who said "it is not the camera, it's the photographer". It is an old adage that I have heard many repeat though I do not know who it originally came from. It is just something to think about.

I do disagree with you when you say that photographs are predetermined by circumstance. The photographer may have to react to the light but beyond the exposure there are plenty of choices the photographer makes (composition being the most important of all). I could take a thousand picture of something as simple as a tree with the same light and not one of them would be the same. My first instinct is not to adjust the meter but think about what I want from each shot (i.e. what emotion do I want people to get from each shot or what do I want observers to notice about it).

I'm not offended and it was not I who said "it is not the camera, it's the photographer". It is an old adage that I have heard many repeat though I do not know who it originally came from. It is just something to think about.
You chose the thread title, not me.

I think someone needs a nap.

Fine, I surrender. It's actually all one big practical joke. I'll shoot my next wedding with a P&S. I'm sure it will work out just fine.

We don't actually need all that gear. In reality, we just carry around 70 pounds of gear for the fun of it. We could take the exact same shots with a P&S. We just carry the gear to try to look important.

You're absolutely right. Now back to the point of the thread. Let's see some more pics and have FUN with it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back