It's November again....

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last year in November I was in a serious photographic funk. I could not for the life of me get a thing to turn out the way I wanted it to. At the end of the month I posted a thread about my funk and some of my problems and jokingly said the photogods said I was not allowd to take pictures in November when the problems reached a peak with bad wether and having the batteries in not one but two cameras die at the same time.

Well, it's November yet again.....and guess what....

After not having any money to process photos or buy equipment in October due to some abnormal expences, I set them asside and waited. I turned in what is going to come out to be roughly $75 dollars worth of film this morning. On top of a new Bowling ball, a new Ring for my GF, a growing dental issue as well as my usual expences it is looking like I am going to be forced to keep me shutter clicks down to a minimum and no new glass this month.

Can we strike November from the calender please.....:lmao:

Last edited:
Oh yes. Please. Let's just jump from October into December (thought Christmas would thus arrive far too soon for my liking). Oh... and I'd grow older too quickly....

Same here, I was in Turkey in October, and those photos must carry me through (though I feel they don't really quite cut it :( ). But words like "equipment purchases" sound all 'alien' to me, don't know what that is, all I do know is that while in Turkey my camera rucksack died (zipper broke) and had to be replaced before we could go back home, and my favourite lens increased its signs of "broken-ness" considerably, which has ruined many a supposedly nice photo in the end :(.

Same here, I was in Turkey in October, and those photos must carry me through (though I feel they don't really quite cut it :( ). But words like "equipment purchases" sound all 'alien' to me, don't know what that is, all I do know is that while in Turkey my camera rucksack died (zipper broke) and had to be replaced before we could go back home, and my favourite lens increased its signs of "broken-ness" considerably, which has ruined many a supposedly nice photo in the end :(.

yeah, Equipment purchesses....I bought a Minolta XG-7 and a Minolta XG-M with a 28mm, 135mm and two 50mm lenses on MD mounts from epatsellis and they are in transit and should be here soon.

Your favorite lens, does it have a tripod ring? I remember seeing the results of said brokenness, I might have a suggestion for it if my assumption is correct.

Your favorite lens, does it have a tripod ring? I remember seeing the results of said brokenness, I might have a suggestion for it if my assumption is correct.

"Tripod ring"? On a lens?
Erm ... not that I would know of. It's that el-cheapo Sigma DG macro, 70-300mm for €169,- from back when they still built said lens for Canon cameras, now they seem to have switched and only produce said lens for Nikon.

What is it you think could be wrong with my lens?
I suspect one of the glasses inside got slightly loose and now sways to and fro (and if only for fractions of a millimetre), so I get partial unsharpness in my pictures. And while that effect could only be seen upon close inspections in those photos I took in Hamburg back then, it has become very apparent in several of the photos I took in Turkey, mostly so in those where the lens was fully extended.

The fact that my favourite lens is failing me increases my usual November-down... :(

What the heck is up with November anyway?? Everything seems to be designed to break in November so we go out shopping for new things in December. My desktop just bit the dust!!! :raisedbrow::madass:

My desktop just bit the dust!!! :raisedbrow::madass:

Oh dear! I didn't know the "November-down" reached as far as Arizona! That's too bad! Too bad! I feel for you!

"Tripod ring"? On a lens?
Erm ... not that I would know of. It's that el-cheapo Sigma DG macro, 70-300mm for €169,- from back when they still built said lens for Canon cameras, now they seem to have switched and only produce said lens for Nikon.

What is it you think could be wrong with my lens?
I suspect one of the glasses inside got slightly loose and now sways to and fro (and if only for fractions of a millimetre), so I get partial unsharpness in my pictures. And while that effect could only be seen upon close inspections in those photos I took in Hamburg back then, it has become very apparent in several of the photos I took in Turkey, mostly so in those where the lens was fully extended.

The fact that my favourite lens is failing me increases my usual November-down... :(

The answer is a solid no on the tripod ring, I checked. But anywho. Tripod ring hi-lighted

Humm, I was under the impression (still am a little) that an element is getting condensation, wich means there is moisture in the housing. However given that the issue occures in a fixed location (last I knew) I have some doubts that on that being the case. I was going to propose a rather drastic drying measure but I don't know how things would react. Given the technological differences in our glass I would definately need to know for absolute certain.

Do you have another Macro enabled lens? With out a tripod ring we'll have to improvise but....

What the heck is up with November anyway?? Everything seems to be designed to break in November so we go out shopping for new things in December. My desktop just bit the dust!!! :raisedbrow::madass:

Ouch. that is a killer.

Last edited:
Do you have another Macro enabled lens?

Sorry. No. Only the predecessor of this lens (purchased in March 2006 only!!!), which began to develop the same disease.

Maybe the "cure" should start at the very roots of the problem: maybe I should no longer go buy myself such cheap lenses! (But where, I ask you, where should the money for some GOOD glass come from??? If I get the teaching job, which is a big "if" anyway, I'd only ever start classes in September 2009 ... :roll: )

Yes it actually IS designed to break in November... How else do you think they get us to keep buying their CRAP. I still use computers built from parts of computers my friends were throwing away. This is how you get through November. Now if only I had some friends throwing away some decent lighting.

Sorry. No. Only the predecessor of this lens (purchased in March 2006 only!!!), which began to develop the same disease.

Maybe the "cure" should start at the very roots of the problem: maybe I should no longer go buy myself such cheap lenses! (But where, I ask you, where should the money for some GOOD glass come from??? If I get the teaching job, which is a big "if" anyway, I'd only ever start classes in September 2009 ... :roll: )

Doesn't it suck... I have to make sure I graduate this semester so I can get a crappy job to hold my own until I can hopefully (given the economy) get a job teaching math at a high school (we do what we can afford to do)

Wait...You got two of them and one is retired?

Oh I know the question of where should the money for some GOOD glass come from lol

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes it actually IS designed to break in November... How else do you think they get us to keep buying their CRAP. I still use computers built from parts of computers my friends were throwing away. This is how you get through November. Now if only I had some friends throwing away some decent lighting.

Lol, I live on table lamps, don't feel bad.

Wait...You got two of them and one is retired?

Erm ... yes...!
The other (had that one with my EOS 500N, and it is a DL lens, as opposed to the DG of the newer one, though I don't know if that's much of a difference, ultimately?

Oh. Oops. Talking of old lenses and my dear old 500N ... I'm just seeing now that it's still got 9 exposures left on a film that I put in ... in spring? Earlier than that? Uh-oh! Reminds me of the film that's still sitting in the Leica ... I might need to fill those and have them developed at last, I think :oops: !!!

Most reactions

Back