It's official!

jadin

The Mad Hatter
Reaction score
Website
jadinhanson.smugmug.com
I'm so addicted to black and white. Lub lub lub it!

My day started out with a family get-together which was a lot of fun. Here is my nephew doing his thing on the swing.
Dsc_0041.jpg

I then traveled to the country to see a film festival... in a barn. (http://www.freerangefilm.com)

Dsc_0119.jpg

While I was there the fog was hovering over a field filled with hay bails, with the moon shining through the clouds. I probably took 75 photos of this. I still have no idea which one(s) I like best. But this one is one of the better ones.

Dsc_0130.jpg

To me the festival is summed up in this photo. Nothing like hay bails to section off the seating...

Dsc_0111.jpg

I posted this in the photo gallery section since it's four photos. But critiques are more than welcome.

Wonderful photos! I love your nephew swinging, he looks like he's having fun. I like how it looks as though he's going to swing out of the image, but then he's looking back to the left, pulls the image together nicely for me.
And the one with the fog, moon and hay bales, sooo spooky and wonderful! Reminds me of hay bale rides at Halloween. Great work!

Welcome to the club :) I really like the moon/hay shot!

I agree, that moon/hay shot is cool. About the only thing I would have liked to have seen is less noise. I'm guessing that was at a pretty high ISO, right? That would've been perfect with a tripod and a long exposure...

Shark said:
I agree, that moon/hay shot is cool. About the only thing I would have liked to have seen is less noise. I'm guessing that was at a pretty high ISO, right? That would've been perfect with a tripod and a long exposure...

I like the fog and moon also.

My experience with film is that fog increases grain a whole lot. When I shoot Tmax 100 4x5 in the fog it looks much grainier than I would normally expect (which is absolutely zero grain in up to 16x20 prints). I don't think that it is an actual increase in the graininess, but rather the way fog exposes on the film, the diffraction in the atmoshere, or something, particularly with longer exposures. It ends up looking grainy. I have no experience with shooting fog with digital, but I would expect something similar. It's like the fog is just too etheral, especially in low light. All that said, I'm a big fan of using a tripod, and would personally use one for this sort of shot.

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah I've been at super high ISO ever since I went to black and white to add grain.

I'll experiment with some noise reduction filters see if any turn out. If not maybe the fog will be there tonight as well... (wishful thinking)

ksmattfish said:
, particularly with longer exposures. It ends up looking grainy.

This is true with color trans film too. Longer exposures with moving clouds leaves a smooth silky effect but the grain is there too. Sometimes it works however, giving back some texture.

We need to come up with something cool to call it though. Like "Ultraviolet Reflective Hydro Radiation Selective Emulsion Reciprocity" You know, something easy that makes sense :p

Oh, and the posted pictures, good stuff....... I dig how you can kinda tell they're all from the same photographer but each kinda falls into a different theme all crammed into the same time period. Did that even make sense?

Most reactions

Back