It's the little things that make me laugh...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Sharkbait, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Okay, brief build-up for this story. We're finishing up the Hobbit in my 8th grade lit class right? Well I've got one student whose parents are religious zealots, and won't allow their kid to read anything that's "not real." So for the past few weeks this kid has been going to the library a couple class periods a week while we discuss the novel.

To fill in for the missing assignments, I had him read a book of his choosing and look for themes and whatnot in his book (same thing we're doing in Hobbit) and turn in regular reports to me.

In his final report, that I'm reading today, was this paragraph (btw, he did his report on one of those books from that religious aventure series about the world after the 2nd coming):

LOL, I know this kid doesn't realize that he typoed 'shot' into the past tense of 's**t,' and I'd LOVE to tell him just to see the expression on his little god-fearing face. :lol: I'm not that mean though--I just circled it like any other typo.

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    :lmao:

I'm guessing his face would look something like this: :shock:

3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

heh

:D

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep, you gotta get your grins when you can....too funny, the exact same thought would have crossed through my head, as well! :twisted:

Poor kid, though, to have his school reading material censored. I do hope he picks it up some day so he can enjoy a harmless fantasy story.

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Ohno, fantasy is right out with this family. It has spiritualism and elements of satanism (the father wrote me a long letter saying that he had researched tolkien and it was clear he was a satanist. I didn't even bother to reply, even though I kind of would have liked to have told him that tolkien was a devout roman catholic. :roll:).

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh, my..... seems so severe..... guess he won't be seeing any of LOTR installments with his pals, either!

7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Nope, he had to stay home in the ISS room (in-school-suspension) when we took our field trip to RotK on Wednesday. :(

8. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Poor child.. Its parents are freaks. It is hilarious what he mistyped though.

9. Jewel

Jewel TPF Noob!

Could be interesting when the poor little kid works out what he's missing and rebels...

10. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good God! Seriously! As a Seminary graduate holding a theology degree I can only say the father is flat out ignorant. Of both Tolkien, the story and Theology. You should have said something to the effect of "Ok then, you are required to read "The Screw Tape Letters" by C. S. Lewis." Then let his dad figure out if Lewis was a satanist. Sheesh. The sheer ignorance of people.
    And, oh yeah, btw, he will rebel. Rules with out reason or reasonablity is injustice. And injustice is the incubator of rebels.

ps.s just got back from ROTK. My brain is still in shock. I will not bore you with senseless hyperbole. I haven't the superlatives.

pss. btw, my first exposure to Tolkien despite being an avid sci-fi and fantasy fan was The Hobbit as required reading in college freshman lit. I will forever be grateful to Dr. Campbell.

11. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This kid will rebel when he realizes what his dad has taught him contradicts anything that makes sense in the real world. It's just fear based faith that is being taught.

I am no stranger to that scenario. My parents were fairly religious when I was growing up (not as bad now) but they never intervened to say I couldn't read a certain book cause it's evil... like fruits of the devil. They did censor the music I listened to... and I wasn't allowed to date :roll: oh well those are problems for the shrink :p

12. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

They're whatever religion it is that doesn't allow medical treatment. One of the other teachers said they were jehovah's witnesses, but I think it's more Christian Scientist. Either way, they're wacko. All NINE of their kids are blind as bats and are not allowed to wear glasses (when the nurse told the parents that even sitting in the front row their kids couldn't see the board, the parents said, "We'll pray for good vision, then." :roll:). A couple years ago one of the kids had a seizure over at the high school. As required by law the emts were called; dad threatened to sue for religious descrimination. :roll: :roll: