It's worse than I thought.

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by davidharmier60, Oct 3, 2017.

1. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

All my unprocessed rolls of film which I thought was 20 is actually 80+.
    All color. Mostly Kodak but Fuji is represented as well.

The oldest is 1996 and newest 1999.

Whatever am I supposed to do???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

These have been sitting since then waiting for processing?

If so suggest you process them yourself. And the reason being the film may be stuck together inside the canisters. And with a delicate hand might be able to salvage some or all of them. If someone heavy handed does it. You might loose shoots you might not have othe wise. You can still get the equipment and supplies for processing it. Just need some space and time. And water supply. And a way to maintain 39deg c. Can be done with tank and a water heater element. I did it a long time ago with a 10 gallon fish tank and fish tank heater (was doing E-6 slides but very similar).

3. davidharmier60

Presuming I can do that, how do I get prints? It's almost certainly all aircraft.
    And many if not most of them are now no longer flying.

4. benhasajeep

You can send negatives in still for prints. Or have them scanned and printed locally.

You might be able to send them to a local lab that still does c41 and clearly tell them this is old stored film and caution is needed to unroll them. I would not trust any general mail order or drop off at CVS. Would need to be a pro lab. And of course they will charge more most likely.

Also if you don't have a scanner of your own. They do make adapters to go on digital cameras. I have not used one, but they are out there. Nikon I guess has a new one for the D850.

5. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've heard that a lot of non-pro photography places no longer return negatives, if they even process photos anymore (Costco, Walmart, Target, CVS, etc).

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidharmier60

I simply must have my negatives back.
    I guess I gotta find someone to do it.
    I don't see processing my own film.
    No good place to do it .

7. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is it B&W or color? Of course developing B&W is what typically was done in home darkrooms and would be do-able if you got used equipment and had space to do it. There are/were kits to do your own C41 color processing but I don't know what those are like.

You could get a certain number of rolls developed at a time to spread out the cost and just have the film developed and scanned, unless you want to do the scanning yourself. I'd start out with not too many and see how they turn out. B&W film seems to last indefinitely but color could have shifted. Of course you could then adjust the scans digitally if needed.

Most places will develop and scan, or develop only. I've used The Darkroom in San Clemente; they'd scan and you could download them online (or get a CD, or digital prints). I've recently been using Dwayne's in Kansas because they have the option to get 'wet' prints done in photo chemistry on photo paper. Both have the forms to fill out and send in that show the prices.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Wade, many places like discount stores etc. now apparently destroy the negatives. But most of the drug stores etc. in my area weren't that great anyway for getting film developed. You might need to send out.

You could take a look at http://www.filmphotographyproject.com and see if they have a list of labs or ask on their Flickr page (they have/had a message board but people seemed to use the Flickr discussion more). I haven't looked over the summer at their site to know what they have going on lately.

• Like Like x 1
  9. benhasajeep

My biggest point is to find one that will listen to you or follow written comments on the film envelope. I had a bunch of negatives partially ruined by a lab. Specific instructoins were to not cut the negatives by machine. Hand cut only. And I selected and understood I had to pay extra for "personal" service. The negatives were from a real panoramic camera with a 24x58 frame. And I was specific about it being panaromaic and frame size. Well they cut all 12 rolls standard 5-frame 35mm. I was going to be charged extra for absolutely nothing by the lab! They clearly didn't read the instructions or the results on the film. Just figured the price from the check marks on the bags. The owner of the camera store who sent out the film did not charge me and let me keep the negatives for the frames that survived.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. davidharmier60

Back when film was king Walgreens did much of my film. I sure wish it was still that easy.

11. benhasajeep

I bought my own minilabs after that incident. Used of course. Bought an Agfa MSC 101 from a closing camera store. Came with more paper and chemicals than the cost of the lab. And a silver recovery bucket. Also picked up from a different closing camera shop an Agfa E-6 machine FP2-72. I still have them both. But has been in storage for about 10 years now. Still have some chemicals and paper left. But sure the chemicals are toast. Storage is not climate controlled and everything has gone through freeze and thaw cycles.

12. davidharmier60

Since film is in something of a resurgence someplace like Ritz Camera should do it.