I've been reminded why I ditched Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one "faults" Microsoft. We just like the idea of 24/7 Internet for years and years and years with no need for virus protection and no infections... EVER!

I think the "EVER" might be a bit strong. For the forseeable future perhaps, but as Mac's market share continues to increase I can see the need to have virus protection and infections happening even on mac's. They aren't impenetrable.

wait no nikon vs canon?

O WAIT

this is mac vs pc

edit: i'd call myself a self declared computer nerd, and to be honest, i'm on my last straw with windows, it just constantly is ****ing up and needing repairs, only thing keeping me from buying mac is the price range + "starbucks kid" aspect to it

double edit: the only reason mac's dont have viruses is because noone is going to create viruses for an OS that only holds like 5 % of the market share

No one "faults" Microsoft. We just like the idea of 24/7 Internet for years and years and years with no need for virus protection and no infections... EVER!

Well when I talked with some of those malicious sorts and tried to get them to write some code for your type they simply laughed and said the pay-off just simply wasn't worth their time nor their efforts. So I guess you'll have to come back with some stronger sales numbers then that before we can accommodate your envious request to be like us. ;)

But seriously all joking aside.

I am truly sorry the OP has seen so much grief with his Win 7. Especially since it sounds as though he had his own personal IT/IS at his side. But then again my experience with many IT/IS "gurus" is that they aren't all what they should be cracked up to be. Not saying the OP's IT guy was this way, maybe he just had a bad day. I seriously have not heard any local horror stories for win 7 but then the group I run with is pro or ultra sort of ppl. Not saying a home bunch are bad just not my types. And it's got to be 64bit if your doing win7 other wise what is the point? On my personal PC I still do XPpro simply cause it is solid (for me) and I don't yet need 64. When I move to a new box it will be win7 no biggie.

BTW what puzzles me is we have photogs here who bend over backwards to learn the art of manual photography on SLR systems and yet when it comes to PC's they whine and complain cause what they really want is a point and shoot PC. Ok go buy your Mac then, no skin off my back. That doesn't mean I'll get it though.

But before you start... Yes my PC is very versatile, definitely not point and shoot. At work as well as at home I make the apps I need when there are none. I even have made programs that help me program LOL. So if you like it deep and do the same on your Mac, please by all means engage me. Other wise... Point and shoot away my friends. Point and shoot. Just remember what you say about other point and shooters in the future. ;)

BTW what puzzles me is we have photogs here who bend over backwards to learn the art of manual photography on SLR systems and yet when it comes to PC's they whine and complain cause what they really want is a point and shoot PC. Ok go buy your Mac then, no skin off my back. That doesn't mean I'll get it though.
What puzzles me are silly statements like this.

The entire 'debate' is foolish. Macs and PC can work together and not against; they are simply different systems with different bodies. If you don't like one, get the other - but that doesn't mean that someone else can't like the one you don't.

I think the "EVER" might be a bit strong. For the forseeable future perhaps, but as Mac's market share continues to increase I can see the need to have virus protection and infections happening even on mac's. They aren't impenetrable.

Let me type slowly so that you understand: n-o i-n-f-e-c-t-i-o-n-s E-V-E-R! I've been on the 'net 24/7 ever since it was opened to the public in the late eighties and I've never had any virus protection software. I don't care why and I won't argue why. I care only that it's a fact and that's not open for discussion.

What puzzles me are silly statements like this.

A Mac is a tool in the same sense that a hammer is a tool. I buy tools to use. I have no desire to spend my time troubleshooting them.

Actually, I have to give credit to MS for Windoze-7. They've come a long way. According to CNN only 31% of the users that upgraded reported major problems.

And of 31%, I bet you 90% of those are user error (as my issue was, and I knew I wasn't SUPPOSED to be doing what I was doing when I did it).

I did not tried Vista even I have it (remove the OS that shipped with the notebook and replaced it with XP). I jump from XP pro to Windows 7 64Bit recently. Everything seems to be running fine except couple issues.

The KonicaMinota Laser printer driver no longer works under 64Bit environment and the manufacturer do not have a newer driver for it and will not make one in the future. :( Also, an opensource RAW converter run very slow even under XP sp2 compatible mode. Other than that, everything seems to be running fine.

As for MAC OS, since it is gaining market share, so more and more Trojans and worms are targeting it nowadays. If your machine is not infected, good. But I will still recommend scan it just for the safe side.

In April this year, a botnet that was created with MAC OS machines has been activated. In other words, there are a lot of Mac based zombies on the NET and become part of the botnet army. The owner of the machine may not notice in the beginning since some of the trojans just hidden inside the machine. But when the botnet was activated and the particular MAC machine join the attack, the user may noticed performance drop.

How much of the drop depends on the user internet pipe size, computer processing power as well as the malware itself. It was reported that some malware took 100% resources of the Mac machine.

Since botnet is a money (I learned that US$10,000 a day to attack a site and some botnet owners are multi-millionare) generating business (not legal of course), I am sure they will go after any machines that they can use for generating cash.

The entire 'debate' is foolish. Macs and PC can work together and not against; they are simply different systems with different bodies. If you don't like one, get the other - but that doesn't mean that someone else can't like the one you don't.

They can't work together because of the mindset of the typical Mac user. I'm not accusing anyone here of this but it's true. Within the past 10 years the professional Starbucks websurfers have started a faddish elitist movement in which they truly believe they become a member of the socialite elites just because they became a SJobs lemming.

I remember not too long ago we never saw this tension between mac and PC users. Most people used both at some point throughout their day.

It was something about the iPod that ruined that harmony though. For some reason these people honestly believe they are elite because they own an apple product and instantly grow this elitist disgust for anyone that doesn't conform.

I'm running OS X, Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu just fine at the house. Some have had issues while much of it is support between two pieces of the system (be it hardware or software) that were not designed by the same company, so could not totally and utterly gaurantee stability.

The only major one I had was having to reinstall OS X after about a month because it crashed and would not let me back into the OS. That scared me a bit as I was in the middle of copying all my photos to a file server for backup and was only slightly over halfway through.

As for MAC OS, since it is gaining market share, so more and more Trojans and worms are targeting it nowadays. If your machine is not infected, good. But I will still recommend scan it just for the safe side.

That allegation/recommendation was made ten years ago, nine years ago, eight years ago... (you get the point).

Again, connected 24/7 since the Internet was opened to the public in the late eighties. No virus protection and no virus... EVER! I don't care why, I care only that it's a fact.

The problem with them working together is the mindset of the users. When Apple makes the kind of commercials they are currently running, they fuel the "war". Their ads directly downplay the PC platform and windows specifically. It's realy nothing different than a typical politician running a smear campaign about the person running against him. I don't like, or support that.

To me, if you have to downplay your competition, somethings wrong.

I have used both platforms and like them both. For me, the PC fit better. That may not be the case for you and thats ok. :)

That allegation/recommendation was made ten years ago, nine years ago, eight years ago... (you get the point).

Again, connected 24/7 since the Internet was opened to the public in the late eighties. No virus protection and no virus... EVER! I don't care why, I care only that it's a fact.

Why are you so sure you have no virus or malware in your computer? I am not saying your computer is infected but I do came across some machines that the owner do not know their PCs were infected since no strange behaviors nor symptoms with their PC.

A well written spyware can hide itself so that the user do not know about it (stealth) and send information out from the computer in the background. In fact, the malware/spyware do not want you to know your computer is infected so that the user will keep using the computer.

Of course, there is a high chance that your computer is clean because the way you operate your computer. A lot of time when computer is infected, it is due to user error.

A year or so ago, someone I know went to a website and saw a message regarding his PC is infected and need to buy a program from them to remove the malware. So he bought the software, downloaded it and installed in his PC. Later on he told me about the software was good because it keep finding new virus/spyware ..... but I noticed that the software he bought was a malware. His computer do not have malware in the beginning until he installed the malware himself (and pay money for it) ..... hahaha :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back