I've Been Shooting for About a Month and Would Love Some Critique

Glycerol Sound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm Dan, I picked up my dad's old Pentax Spotmatic F a couple weeks ago and decided I needed to add photography to my list of artistic things I do. Moved to a Fuji Finepix my dad had, to save some cash on film (although I really like shooting with film to be honest), and got an amazing deal on a Nikon D-70 just to have my own DSLR. So here's what I've gotten from all three. I really wanna hear what is good, bad, and what I could do to improve my technical skill as well as my eye.

4615424252_3698d4b08f.jpg

4614806179_428c2c390e.jpg

4629564471_51b7becf7a.jpg

4630165116_f33257c385_o.jpg

4615427110_c7c8d68f27.jpg

4614814501_c36db7feae.jpg

4614814733_1189962cf4.jpg

4614818195_349d7a492b_o.jpg

4615435924_8237fd5f86.jpg

4616267877_fda27a057b.jpg

Should be good enough. I really wanna go somewhere with this, and i keep taking what i think are awesome pictures and then I go online and see AMAZING work and I wanna know what I need to do to get there. Thanks!

I've got a Spotmatic SPII that my dad bought in Guantanmo Bay in the early 70's when he was in the navy...great camera. Once you better your skills using the digital, keep on with the film..it's a lot more rewarding (imho).

Seems like you've got a good idea for what you want to shoot, you just need to refine it a bit. Your photos of the urban scenes are real busy. Pick something out, or find some good lines and focus in on them. I really like the first one though.

My 'art' photography is very city-centric (and is on film) maybe it'll give you some ideas (click here to see it).

Good luck!

I've got a Spotmatic SPII that my dad bought in Guantanmo Bay in the early 70's when he was in the navy...great camera. Once you better your skills using the digital, keep on with the film..it's a lot more rewarding (imho).

Seems like you've got a good idea for what you want to shoot, you just need to refine it a bit. Your photos of the urban scenes are real busy. Pick something out, or find some good lines and focus in on them. I really like the first one though.

My 'art' photography is very city-centric (and is on film) maybe it'll give you some ideas (click here to see it).

Good luck!
Thanks for checking me out and def thanks for the tip. I'm looking through your work and a lot of its stunning, very inspiring!

One and 2 are my favorite... They have a mood and an emotion to them. Very well done.

I do have to agree that the rest just seem too busy. Keep up the work though!

Josh

One and 2 are my favorite... They have a mood and an emotion to them. Very well done.

I do have to agree that the rest just seem too busy. Keep up the work though!

Josh
Thanks, actually starting to see what you guys mean by busy. I guess I'll have to start re thinking how I compose

I see a lot of potential... especially in number 2...

I am curious... It looks underexposed to me and my eye can't seem to find the focal point (the flower in the middle???)

Mind you... my eyes are a challenge to work with on a good day. :)

I am curious... It looks underexposed to me and my eye can't seem to find the focal point (the flower in the middle???)

Assuming youre talking about 3, not 2... I'm pretty sure I had the flower in mind, but this was my first time ever shooting with an SLR, so I dont know why I put it up hahah

Assuming youre talking about 3, not 2... I'm pretty sure I had the flower in mind, but this was my first time ever shooting with an SLR, so I dont know why I put it up hahah

Yes... I meant #3, sorry about that.

And as far as saying...
so I dont know why I put it up

I'm glad you did. :) It shows (in my opinion) that you have a good eye. Even if the exposure needs work... :)

Yes... I meant #3, sorry about that.

And as far as saying...
so I dont know why I put it up
I'm glad you did. :) It shows (in my opinion) that you have a good eye. Even if the exposure needs work... :)
Well thank you! I'm finding that its not too difficult to shoot a technical good photo especially with a light meter and all that fancy bull (for the most part of course) so I'm really working on composition. Your guys' comments have really been helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back