I've Gotta Share This Comeback...

I've always responded that it was I who took the picture, not the camera, but this is much better. Wondering if anyone has any other witty responses to this obnoxious comment?

Slyly decrease the shutter speed and turn off the AF then hand it over and say Here give it a try!

Slyly decrease the shutter speed and turn off the AF then hand it over and say Here give it a try!

Just use back-button AF mode - it will confuse 99.9% of non-DSLR using photographers (and confuse a good 70% of DSLR shooting amateurs and 40% of professionals)

Of course that only works if they don't then turn it to auto mode (which is always green)

I've always responded that it was I who took the picture, not the camera, but this is much better. Wondering if anyone has any other witty responses to this obnoxious comment?

Hey thanks. You must have a really nice car. It did a great job of getting you here today...

"Thank you for the compliment. You must have a fantastic dictionary."

I say thank you because you can't fix stupid

I say: Thanks, your mouth gives really good compliments

I just got this from another photographer...

...when someone tells you "gee, your camera takes really good pictures..." you can respond with:

"Thanks! I taught it everything it knows!"

But that would be a lie as you didn't teach it anything. It came already trained at the factory. For me I actually like the fact that they thought I have a camera much better than theirs rather than I am a better photographer.

The best ones I have heard.

"wow that's a fancy camera, I,m sure the pictures are great! ill get out of your way" (while using a 4x5 in the VT woods)
"you must know what you are doing, can you take a picture of my family" (with my 500C/M on a tripod near the beach)
"I love that picture you took of us over Christmas, I think im gonna get one of those "fancy" cameras" (my D3300 matched with a nice prime lens, framed the tree well and had some decent room lighting)

Regards
Dave

I say thank you because you can't fix stupid

that response is easiest & least annoying.

if i had a minute, i might say, "do you know that some of the best pictures were taken with cheap cameras? photographers first analyze lighting, perspective & then adjust the camera to create art. cameras are technical paint brushes for artists who can't paint."

the funny & true analogies in this thread (car, mouth...) would be lost on them because they don't think! the lack of "critical thinking" of most Americans is beyond crisis level. we can list contributing factors ad nauseam, but sometimes Dilbert is right!

a consultant with whom i worked said that in grad engineering school, he took an aptitude test about thinking. the result was plotted in one of 4 quadrants:
y axis: "concrete" and above, "conceptual"
x axis: "random" and to the right, "serial"

he went to the prof and said, "this test is great"
prof said, "your score was in the 4th quadrant, right?" (the upper right; conceptual & serial)
"yes, how did you know?"
"because people who score there are the only ones who think so!

so, yes, in a way you can't fix stupid.
plant a seed, they might ask for water.

but, the alternative is tempting. Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back