Jax and Jason- the motherload

For what it's worth, the harsh shadows were unavoidable and were not caused by flash. The shadows were caused by the videographer's lights. The venue was great, but some of the conditions were absolutely horrible. Not trying to make excuses for bennielou...she doesn't need them. Just providing some info.

Bennielou, I am going to give you some honest, objective feedback...
I see some decent shots, but overall I was hoping for more sizzle, not just a steak. First I'll comment on several details often overlooked when framing a shot. Never cut off the bride's dress. Your white balance varies from one shot to the next, mainly in the outdoor stairs shots. In a few, the bride's skin was over processed (too soft). To me, many seem more like snapshots; flash was too direct, harsh shadows behind subjects. Several are difficult to tell exactly what your subject is. You have some good ideas like the Mr. and Mrs signs, I like it. Have you considered getting the flash totally off the camera, as in a few speedlights around the room, bouncing, remotely fired, etc.? Or even an assistant holding a light to upper right frame, etc.?
All in all, I've seen much better stuff from you in the past.

What's the max sync speed on the 5D? I'm curious because all of the indoor reception shots are at 1/100, and I couldn't help but thinking to get that faster to lighten the background up and cut down the effect of the harsh shadow from flash.

What's the max sync speed on the 5D? I'm curious because all of the indoor reception shots are at 1/100, and I couldn't help but thinking to get that faster to lighten the background up and cut down the effect of the harsh shadow from flash.

Its the opposite. You get more ambient light with slower shutter speeds than higher.

You're right, my bad on the latenight brain-fart.

Its the opposite. You get more ambient light with slower shutter speeds than higher.

Thanks for the in depth crit Darell. I honestly do appreciate it.

George, you gotta call me. Things didn't go well for the videographer and DJ. But I'll tell you via phone. Anyhoo, yes, it was a tough lighting situation, but after looking all the photos over, the white balance was off on several photos. Ouch!

Most reactions

Back