Jeffro's Journey

Jeffro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
infinitecustoms.forumotion.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will come to this thread with all kind of questions and topics and everything that goes on with me to do with photography!
I will mostly be doing on location photography at car shows and portraits. Also will be doing a little in house or studio photography! but that will mostly come later!

1. I am building up my bag of goodies and would like some opinions!
This is my GAME PLAN!

1. Camera Body.
A. D300
B. D90 Backup

2. Lenses
A. 50mm 1.8
B. 35mm 1.8
C 80-200mm f/2.8 or 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VRII
D 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6----Might Sell this one!
E 17-55mm F/2.8

3. Accesories
A SB-900 Flash or another SB-600
B SB-600 Flash
C JTL Strobe 160 with soft box
D Remote Triggers for the Strobes!

Red is what I own! Any suggestions or opinions on anything, bring it on! Trying to learn as much as I can so let me have it!

Ok That is starters! I know it will change but I will try to keep on track. Some of the stuff I already have and some I am getting in the next few months. Re

Last edited:
Thought you would with the thread title like that !

What else should I be looking into?'

Did you check out my NAPP PORTFOLIO in my signature yet???

I took a quick look at your Flickr pages--looks like you're venturing into people photography using some external lighting. I think you ought to look into getting another monolight that matches the one you have now; perhaps a pair of additional monolights.

I really do not think going down the DX road is the best road if you are interested in people photography...I think the FX format cameras give more lens options, better depth of field control, and a more-professional looking end result in the vast majority of indoor/outdoor portrait situations. DX really kills your backgrounds in terms of using Nikon's good bokeh lenses as they were intended to be used.

The 18-200mm lens--I would not buy that lens for any serious uses. An 80-200 Nikon zoom...I would not buy that either--I would rather have a 70-200, a Tamron or Sigma or Nikon, rather than the too-long-at-80mm 80-200--UNLESS you have a FX body to use it on.

Well going into the full frame stuff is just out of reach for now. The only way is if I hit the lottery.. I am going to have to work really hard just to get the stuff I am looking at now so it will be damn near impossible if I had to double all the prices!

Yes I complete understand why full frame is so great it is just out of reach FOR NOW.

So That old arguement, Should I be looking at Tamron and Sigma for now. I kinda would like to stay mostly Nikon!

Ok I looked at the 70-200mm f/2.8 VS the 80-200mm f/2.8 and 10mm is worth a 1000 bucks. What gives????

Last edited:
I would go for the Sigma. I have used a number of Sigma lenses and have yet to find one I didn't like. I have been really happy with Sigma. My next lens is either the 50-150 or the 70-20. I have not been really happy with tamaron lenses I have used. An as far as DX..you are fine. Yes an Fx is better but Dx is just fine and you will have nice shots with a d300.

Last edited:
Good Morning Daniel.

I really lean towards staying in the DX format for now. See what happens over the next few years, and then moving to full frame!

I am pricing Sigma VS TAMRON VS NIKON/NIKKOR

WOW....

What would be a great little wide angle lens???? 10-20mm? It does not have to be super just good. This is for working on my carshow shots?

This is my GAME PLAN!

1. Camera Body.
A. D300
B. D90 Backup

2. Lenses
A. 50mm 1.8
B. 35mm 1.8
C 80-200mm f/2.8 or 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VRII
D 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6----Might Sell this one!
E 17-55mm F/2.8
F Tokina 11-16 f2.8

3. Accesories
A SB-900 Flash or another SB-600
B SB-600 Flash
C JTL Strobe 160 with soft box
D Remote Triggers for the Strobes!

Last edited:
looking it up now

Looks Like everyone loves that thing. including Ken Rockwell. That might become my car show lens. I kinda wish there was something like that will a little more zoom. 11-35? 10-35??? anything like that? a Fast 12-55?

Last edited:
looking it up now

Looks Like everyone loves that thing. including Ken Rockwell. That might become my car show lens. I kinda wish there was something like that will a little more zoom. 11-35? 10-35??? anything like that? a Fast 12-55?

You need to watch your mouth lil man. Now go wash it out with soap.

LOL

Actually the less zoom the better. When a lens is optimized for a specific range it will do better. Primes do the best because they are honed for a specific range and nothing else. A small zoom is good.

Oh I was not saying that it was bad. I just like a little play room but I still think that one is great from all the stuff I am reading about it.

a couple sites say it is better than the nikon 12-24. It can be my specialty lens!

ON ANOTHER NOTE

I need to order business cards. Anyone know of any good sites to order them from or any good tips. I will design it in PS4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back