Jellies, octopus, no flash allowed

crownlaurel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Be sure to see updated versions with reduced noise in post #7. Thank you for looking.

I can only see the ISO equivalent on one of these at 1600. I'm pretty sure I bumped it to 3200 ("Hi" something on the d40, not listed as 3200) at least for the octopus because it was so dark and no flash allowed. They are hand held, and I tried to brace my arm. Specks are particles in the water. Keep in mind, I only have kit lens w/f3.5-5.6 max aperture. Yes, some are centered...not easy to compose with 50million people trying to get where you are. I haven't cropped or edited yet...

ChattanoogaJuly07655.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07654.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07651.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07649.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07648.jpg

6. He was suctioned against the wall....very very dark
ChattanoogaJuly07645.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07644.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07643.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07636.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07635.jpg

jelly fish are freaky creatures! I love the irredescent colours of number 2.

Yeah, thats where the faster lenses help a lot. I want to plan a trip to an aquarium soon, but like you the fastest I have is 3.5f. I'm thinking about a prime 50mm 1.8?

I would definitely get a fast prime. It will really help take away the motion blur on low light photos like these. The grain is a little high too. With a fast prime, you wont need to turn the ISO up so high either which will keep your photos more grain/noise free. 50mm f/1.8 seems to be the best value for the money on the market.

NJ

my god through glasses !? hehehee nice fishies but we at Nat Geo Expd aren't allowed to take pics through glasses unless you're sitting in a ravaged armored car passing through Iraq !

btw, if they didn't find spare cages for the "animals" that escaped the last day yet, they are welcome to send them here - we have lots of free spaces in our zoos !! cheerio

I took a stab at reducing noise. I selected the entire frame and deselected the creature. Then I did a dust and scratch removal on everything but the jelly. That removed a lot more than normal noise reduction. Any noise reduction lost detail on the jellies, so I only did minimal on the actual jellies. I'm not good at photoshop and my trial runs out in just over 2 weeks anyway. I did what I could. I think it helped (same order as above)...

ChattanoogaJuly07655b.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07654b.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07651b.jpg

sorry, didn't do this one

ChattanoogaJuly07648b.jpg

6. On the next two, I tried a couple of things, but the final was just a noise reduction and auto levels. I could do a dust and scratch removal but I'd lose more detail. This tank is truly much darker than these pictures and the naked eye cannot see a lot of detail on the octopus.
ChattanoogaJuly07644b.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07645b.jpg

didn't do

ChattanoogaJuly07636b.jpg

ChattanoogaJuly07635b.jpg

Most reactions

Back