Jennifer in the Studio

Just to add....
The last class I took was 'lighting for portraits' and the instructor said that it's a common issue that people have trouble creating the ratio and end up with flat lighting. Her tip was to just turn off the fill light. Then you can easily see the ratio and get a good handle on how to pose the model and place the light etc. After taking some shots like that, then turn on the fill light, to get a softer ratio. Of course, it helps to have a light meter so that you can can meter the lights and know for sure, the ratio that you are getting.

Is it safe to assume that doing this would require using a studio flash with a variable-power modeling light?
Modeling lights are only for viewing...you don't meter from them.

When metering flash, you need a flash meter and you trigger the lights with the meter (or set the meter to wait for the flash).

You meter studio lights the exact same way that you would meter speedlights.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. My meter experiences starts and ends in my D80 so I didn't realize they would actually fire a flash. As for the modelings, I've seen studio strobes who's modeling lights adjusted based upon power output of the strobe. From a mathematical standpoint I assumed that the ratio of the modeling lights would mirror that of the actual strobe. That certainly wouldn't give you the final light reading so I guess it's not that useful. Your idea is much better! :lol:

Thanks Mike!

I am guessing that you are shooting strobist syle...speedlights into umbrellas??

A little trick that works very well as long as you have access to power. I used this to great effect before picking up a set of studio strobes with built in modeling lights.

Go to any hardware or home improvement store and and pick up small clamp-on lights with the reflector dishes, and various power bulbs. Clamp these on directly beneath your speedlights pointing into the umbrellas. My favorite setup was a 40W with my key light, and a 25W with my fill light (adjust your speedlight outputs accordingly, ratio wise). These are just enough power to give you an idea where the lighting and shadows will fall, but dim enough that the speedlights will override them in the exposure. This is rudementary, and may not be exact, but it works very well, and will get you a lot closer than guessing.

As for the modelings, I've seen studio strobes who's modeling lights adjusted based upon power output of the strobe. From a mathematical standpoint I assumed that the ratio of the modeling lights would mirror that of the actual strobe.
Some do, it's called 'tracking'...but you still don't meter the modeling lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back