TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
19137975091_e37b367e15_c.jpg

Last edited:
No, it isn't.
She is face on square to the camera, generally a no no because it emphasizes shoulders and looks 'rugged'.
Her arms just trail off and are cut at the wrists.
One side of her face is much too dark.
She is up against the wall so there is a distinct shadow.

Even if this is a quick shot, it should have some effort to make it a picture rather than just a snap that the camera took with no input from you.

She went to the trouble of applying makeup, and putting on a very nice dress, so you should have put in more effort at making a better portrait.

No, it isn't.
She is face on square to the camera, generally a no no because it emphasizes shoulders and looks 'rugged'.
Her arms just trail off and are cut at the wrists.
One side of her face is much too dark.
She is up against the wall so there is a distinct shadow.

Even if this is a quick shot, it should have some effort to make it a picture rather than just a snap that the camera took with no input from you.
I believe the OP did say this was just a snapshot...

Yes, but two seconds of setting up, and this could have been much better.

ie: "Move this way a bit", "turn toward the light", and re-frame to include her hands, and BOOM! A SHOT!

Oh, I see!

Do you see?

Don't let this girl get away.

Last edited:
even if it's a snap google more about posing

Two points:

This is the People sub-forum where pictures are posted for critique.

It is disheartening to spend lots of time critiquing photos from people who want to improve only to have a mod, a person I think that should want to encourage improvement, make attaboy comments about badly done photos.
And have another mod agree.

Is this FB, where every snap, no matter how bad, gets praise?
Is this like social promotion?

True that!

I couldn't begin to tell you how many photographers receive C&C only to declare that:

1. They don't need it.
2. They didn't ask for it.
3. The commenter has failed to grasp the exquisite result of a heart-felt attempt to "shoot outside the box".
4. The photographer is quite happy to continue doing things his way.
5. If the commenter has nothing better to do, he should post up something of his own so we can all rag on it.

Two points:

This is the People sub-forum where pictures are posted for critique.

It is disheartening to spend lots of time critiquing photos from people who want to improve only to have a mod, a person I think that should want to encourage improvement, make attaboy comments about badly done photos.
And have another mod agree.

Is this FB, where every snap, no matter how bad, gets praise?
Is this like social promotion?
Just in case there was some question about it....everyone, mods included, are free to like or dislike a photo and comment as they see fit regardless of whether anyone else agrees with it. If you wish to add more specific commentary towards helping the OP improve, that is fine, but dictating how other people comment (providing it's civil) is not.

Also, I'm really surprised to hear you condemn the "attaboy" comments for "snapshots" Lew, especially considering how many you get for much of your walk around shots.

As has been said many times, pictures that are posted in this and the other galleries are here for critique and the inference is that people who post here actually want it.
There is a Just for Fun gallery for snapshots.

OTOH, I didn't and can't dictate how people respond but, as I said before, it is discouraging to see people who have shown they know better, just give an attaboy to a picture with very obvious shortcomings.
If this isn't a site for people who want to improve and any kind of picture is accepted than what good is the site?
If the mods don't attempt to hold up some standards who will?

As for getting attaboys myself - I post pictures here in order to get response and I welcome more complete critiques from those who can and want to give it - and I respond to it.

If you can ever think of anything to say about pictures of mine, Jason, say them.
I don't remember ever hearing from you.

Last edited:
As has been said many times, pictures that are posted in this and the other galleries are here for critique and the inference is that people who post here actually want it.
There is a Just for Fun gallery for snapshots.

OTOH, I didn't and can't dictate how people respond but, as I said before, it is discouraging to see people who have shown they know better, just give an attaboy to a picture with very obvious shortcomings.
If this isn't a site for people who want to improve and any kind of picture is accepted than what good is the site?
If the mods don't attempt to hold up some standards who will?

As for getting attaboys myself - I post pictures here in order to get response and I welcome more complete critiques from those who can and want to give it - and I respond to it.

If you can ever think of anything to say about pictures of mine, Jason, say them.
I don't remember ever hearing from you.
Fine, but my point is....
You should respect other people's opinion. It's rude and unnecessary to tell someone who simply said nice shot, and gave a few suggestions to improve, that they are wrong for saying so.
If you have an opinion about the photo, fine. Noone is saying you can't or shouldn't give the critique you want, but there is no need to simultaneously tear down someone else's just because you don't feel it was what it should have been.

While the shot was just of your friend, I expect you want to show her some nice shots. She may be happy with this, or she is thinking she takes a better selfie.

While this was a snapshot there was still the time for her to stand in a spot and to pose. Often I find just a bit more direction to make the best of the lighting and background does not take any more time.

She probably would like a tip on posing if she has not done any modeling, but usually it just takes some time to loosen up in front of the camera.

So in this shot, just addressing the shadow on the wall and the square to the camera/hands down to the side pose can lead to snapshots that are keepers and where your friend will be asking you to take more shots.

Most reactions

Back