Soto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelsotophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

This is called "El Via crucis" and is a religious tradition in Puerto Rico. The people of Puerto Rico follow various religious traditions during Holy Week. A lot of people fast throughout the whole week (though not required), and eat different foods such as codfish, salad and a soup called "caldo santo." In Palm Sunday it is customary to process with palm branches in memory of Jesus' entrance to Jerusalem. Next there are several activities celebrated during each day of the week.

From Monday through Wednesday of the Holy week people will participate in the stations of the cross. The "Via Crucis" is a remembrance, through walking and praying, of Jesus carrying the cross, his crucifixion, and death. There are 14 "stations" signified by paintings which are positioned in the church. In some towns, the Via Crucis is dramatized, which means that actual folk will play the different roles of Jesus, Mary, John, the people of Jerusalem and the Roman soldiers.

viacruzis01.jpg

Last edited:
That reenactment looks hauntingly near to life, I think, mostly so in Photo 2, where that "Roman soldier" lashes out for yet another beating, enjoying his power over someone already on the weak side.
In Spain, they follow the same traditions, and I have spent Semana Santa in Andalucia once (many years ago), where I - as a tourist and mere onlooker, of course - also witnessed the Palm Sunday procession and that on Good Friday. Back then, however, I wasn't that much into photography. I did take photos but ...

wow. very nice work....
age it for creativity just to see how it looks.

These are incredible! I especially like the first shot, with the jewelry store on the right and the street sign on the left.
Really though, they are all fantastic. Good work.

I agree with LaFoto that #2 has such a "in the moment" feel to it. Wonderful work.

this are fantastic ,
they used to do the same retual in jerusalem and that retual called many photographers .
i admit that i havent been there for a long time ,
not sure its still alive .

This is some of the best photography I've ever seen.

I like the first one the best... the way 'Jesus' stands out against the blown out sky with the crowd of onlookers is simply stunning. Great captures, and the B&W effect is spot on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back