Jesus, Mary, Joseph

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
plus Rose of Lima, St. Christopher and what can only be described as The Immaculate Heart of Buddha Mary -- never seen anything like it -- wandering the antique mall this afternoon.

Joe

Jesus_Mary_Joseph.jpg

Very odd when judged by what we normally see as representations of Christianity's principals.

These religious icons are very formulaic in presentation. That's why it's easy to make a positive ID for example of the small statue of Rose of Lima -- nun's habit, crown of roses and holding a cross (catholic saint worshipers know their saints). The Immaculate Heart of Mary statue is so incredibly left-field. It's extremely rare for that statue to depart from a standing position depiction and then only if seated on an elaborate throne (typically a painting). A statue seated in a lotus position is just shockingly hard to believe.

Joe

That is so weird. Having grown up in a very mixed Italian, Irish and Portuguese almost 100% Catholic neighborhood, I thought I had seen every type of religious statue. When we were growing up, almost half of the front yards boasted some type of mini shrine - usually the Virgin Mary classic garden statue with arms extended, white dress with blue shawl - occasionally a different pose holding baby Jesus. I have never seen a Mary statue posed sitting - even in the manger scene she is always kneeling never sitting like Buddha.

That is so weird. Having grown up in a very mixed Italian, Irish and Portuguese almost 100% Catholic neighborhood, I thought I had seen every type of religious statue. When we were growing up, almost half of the front yards boasted some type of mini shrine - usually the Virgin Mary classic garden statue with arms extended, white dress with blue shawl - occasionally a different pose holding baby Jesus. I have never seen a Mary statue posed sitting - even in the manger scene she is always kneeling never sitting like Buddha.

Crossover episodes are always a huge hit.

I live in a still solidly Italian Catholic neighborhood. In Italian Catholicism Mary ranks above Jesus. Acceptance into the neighborhood pretty much requires a Mary statue somewhere in the yard. The classic pose is:

mary.jpg

as you noted arms extended palms up and a slight bend in the right knee. Most commonly the pedestal is a globe of the earth and Mary is standing barefoot crushing the head of a snake. When I'm out walking with my wife and we pass one I recite, "Hail Mary full of grace kill the snake and step on it's face." At which point she hits me and says, "ssshusss! someone is going to hear you!" I have never before seen Mary sitting down as in the antique mall photo.

Joe

I live in a still solidly Italian Catholic neighborhood. In Italian Catholicism Mary ranks above Jesus. Acceptance into the neighborhood pretty much requires a Mary statue somewhere in the yard. The classic pose is:

View attachment 146959

as you noted arms extended palms up and a slight bend in the right knee. Most commonly the pedestal is a globe of the earth and Mary is standing barefoot crushing the head of a snake. When I'm out walking with my wife and we pass one I recite, "Hail Mary full of grace kill the snake and step on it's face." At which point she hits me and says, "ssshusss! someone is going to hear you!" I have never before seen Mary sitting down as in the antique mall photo.

Joe

That photo could easily be any house in our old neighborhood growing up. All of the 3 and 6 family houses are condos these days. It's very "Cambridge" in my old hometown these days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back