jewelry photography

qwe999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have a nikon d7200 and need to take pictures of small jewellery items i am new to DSLR's. please could you recommend me the following;

macro lenses - i am thinking to get Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens

lighting kits (softbox or umbrella)

My budget is in the mid range as i don't want anything entry level as we are going to expand rapidly.

What would you guys recommend? Do i need any other accessories?

I have a tripod and light box.

The 180-105 isn't a macro lens. Nikon makes a 60mm 2.8 D micro without a focus motor in the lens but your camera body can focus it with the built in motor in the body. They also make the 60mm 2.8 G micro with the focus motor in the lens.

You also have the 105mm 2.8 micro which is a bit more expensive.

They are also offered in other brands with some savings if your interested in something other than a Nikon lens.

You could use a soft box, umbrella's, backdrop and strobes to light the jewelry or even a light tent to put the jewelry in and get your photo's that way.

With the 60mm you're going to be pretty close to your subject with it and may have some trouble lighting the jewelry without a macro flash set attached to the lens. I think you would probably be better off with the 105mm focal length to have some space between the jewelry and the lens.

Last edited:
What current lens(es) do you have?
I would have the camera on a tripod and use a remote release.
Also nice to have the camera tethered to the computer.

Sample photo to see what you get and idea of what you want and a photo of the current set-up, that would help to have an idea of a suitable lens.

I have the 60mm f/2.8 G, but if you have to be 1:1 then the 105mm or 200mm micro lenses will give more distance between camera and subject (can make it easier to light the subject).

Watch the depth-of-field as it can be very shallow in macro photography.

I agree that the 105mm Macro from Nikon would be the best choice. However, their 60mm for DX would work too.

I've shot jewelry with an 18-105. It CAN be done, but not done "well", depending on the detail you need, however, if you're able to be creative about it and don't need all that much detail in the ring itself, you can get some good results. Here's an example of that from a wedding I shot using my 18-105:

Rings sm.jpg

A lot of it's up to you and what you need. If you need details, than by all means, get the best possible macro lens you can buy (I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sigma). If you need that detail oriented lens, SHOOT IN MANUAL FOCUS. Simply put, I don't trust auto for critical work.

If, like the picture above, you have room to be creative, the 18-105 can give decent results.

Most reactions

Back