Jobs for the ametuer photog.

Probably, although id prefere a digi slr, with your skill mentos you could get away with a disposable :)

I do bands, and work as an assistant wedding photographer as you all know, I get on the job training, and pull in straight cash, so I dont need to worry...

I do my brothers band for free, but they will be going somewhere, ive already had some of my pics of them in the newspaper thanks to them being so good...so...why not ey?

Hi guys just wanted to share some of my experiences with you all.

I used to take photos for a Non League football magazine with a small publishing house over here in the UK. I knew that there was no money in it from the off but I still did it as I love Football. There were quite a few of us "regular contributors". We gotr copies of the magazine monthly, the book annually, and when it came to the cup finals at wembley we nearly all got photographers passes for Wembley Staduim.

Things changed when a company took over the magazine and we never got paid, although we were alleged to have been told we would be. This company eventually as it happens the company went bust. I have been told that the other photographers were owed money. But the annual book is still in production and also produces other books too. Again we aren't paid for theae photos but we do recieve copies gratis.

During 1997 my own club did well and were on a roll and won the FA Vase. On the lead up I was approached by a journalist about taking photos of the games leading up to the big game and getting paid. This was to be a county Newspaper and it got a good circulation. I got paid alright - a lousy bottle of sparkling wine! Boy was I pissed off! (sorry it still irks me). Boy I was Green round the gills. Next time I will get a cash amount in writing first!

Another occasion I was attending a awards party and I was collared by the young lady asking if I would take a couple of promo photos of this celbraty and her and her company's logo on the wall. I agreed and took details and was told the cheque would be sent return of post on arrival of the photos. They disappeared as she did from her company and the company toldme it was a agreement between me and her verbally and to basically get lost!

So now when I am approached by a "journalist" with a "can I buy a roll of film that you take today?"... he's politely (or sometimes depending on how he has asked, unpolitely) to go away. Many of the "amatuer" photographers I know now won't entertain anyone asking to work with them. But there are a few that have got more than a bit Fed up and have shot 36 Expoures of grass and then handed over a roll for say £10 cash with no name! ... thus getting their own back on the nasty ones. Something I must add with my hand on my heart that I have NEVER done.

So my own rules are now get it in writing first, agreed a price up front and NEVER hand anything over without a © on it first and in bold too. Always retain the Negatives. A couple of my mates now shoot a copyright notice on a card/board of EVERY roll of film with name, address, web addy, email, phone number etc.

Go for it .... but be careful as the bigger the company the more you are likely to get stiffed.

I did this same type of thing but with a video business...I videotaped sporting events and we passed out fliers at the game...then I would edit the videos and sell them for 15 bucks a wack...2 teams playing against each other with 15 kids on each, multiplied by 5 games a day= not bad money. Granted it was a pain and editing takes a while but it was worth it. I am considering doing the same with photography. Once people start noticing your work word gets out quick...since my first senior portrait session I've been getting requests, and also am still getting requests to video local commercials. Makes enough to pay for the hobby :)

Lensemeister when you shoot soccer photography what size lense do you normally use? My largest lense, allthough a nice one is a Canon 75-300mm, IS version and when I get my 20D I'll probally be shooting around 450mm full zoom. Is that a close enough zoom to get some good shots? Thanks (oh and do you have any tips?)

I'm currently studying, and so it's imperitive that I get my name out there.

I've been shooting local bands for the last 6 months(properly) and all I do is go to their gig ( Free entry + Free beer ), shoot 150 frames or so, and then charge them $50.

I advise them ( in writing) that the photos are only to be used on their website, and that they don't *own* the photos - thye $50 is a leasing fee. So if they wish to use them for other purposes ( advertising, album inserts etc ), then they need to contact me and re-negotiate. I use an analogy of their song being played on the radio. The station doesn't own the song, neither can they put it on a compilation album without prior authority.

And seeing as I'm a nice person ;), they are very sincere and understand where I am coming from ( This week 3 bands have emailed me to ask if they can use the photo in a band advertising - Sure, I charged them $20, which they were fine with.)

Again, as with any use of your photos, make sure that you are polite, but firm, with how they can use the photos.

Dollface! thanks for some tips! I found your post very useful! The same Lensmaister - thanks!

this is another good option i came up with today:
If you live in a town where tourism is a big thing- there will more than likely be some kind of free information guide of the area, if you can contact the publishers of the magazine/booklet/whatever and ask aboutr contributing photographers- they normally are open to anyone getting good photo's off the area and showing the areas attractions and the like- should be pretty easy if you know the area

just thought i'd add that because it could be an option for some members

Most reactions

Back