Joel the snake.

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by craig, Mar 4, 2004.

1. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I couldn't resist posting a shot of my favorite critter. This frame was shot last weekend. He is a 5 (soon to be 6) foot Burmese Python. We share the computer room together. He is rarely in his cage. Any snake lovers out there?

[​IMG]

2. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

i didnt know snakes were named after me!!!!!
    :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: :roll:

3. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I've never kept a python or boa but I used to collect snakes in SC, even selling to pet shops occasionally. I did catch an Indigo snake one time which was the high point of my collecting career. I let it go almost immediately. Here is a picture of an Indigo snake that I found on the internet. Of all the snakes I have handled or seen, the Indigo has the best and most distinct personality. Even people who hate snakes end up wanting to pet or hold it. this is not me or my snake. Although it looks black it is actually a satiny, iridescent, very dark blue.

[​IMG]

4. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

Nice clear shot of your python, good looking snake.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I'm glad drdan mentioned snake personality, because Joel is a whipper snapper. He loves crawling around. In the summer I leave the window open so he can crawl on to the electrical box and sun himself. The process of him getting there is very acrobatic. He is really gentle with me. But I am his only friend. The family says hi and some will pet him, very few have the desire to handle him. He is a snake and not that bright. Anyone including me would get bitten if you were to put your hand in front of his face.

Oh, yea. I showed Joel the photo of the Indigo snake and I think he is in love.

6. Lula

Lula Cracks-Up At Crazy Titles!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    I don't wanna be near them!!!!
    :shock:
    Cool pic anyway

7. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

So cool. I had a friend that collected snakes. The most fun then was to watch them hunt down a mouse and eat it. He got rid of his python when it ate his kitten. I thought it was funny...i hate cats.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally have three different snakes, and a few other reptiles as well. I know quite a few people who keep and/or breed snakes and other reptiles. I'm quite active on some reptile sites and with the local reptile club.

That's a nice looking burm you have there. How old is he? What do you keep him in? I hope you have plans for a very large enclosure when he gets big. I know someone who has a Burmese python that is about 17-18 feet long and around 180 lbs.

In educated reptile circles, this is really frowned upon. I have seen too many snakes that have been injured from live prey. Not to mention that getting pleasure from watching one animal kill another...is a little twisted. The more acceptable way to feed snakes is to train them to eat prekilled prey. I buy frozen mice in bulk and just thaw them out when I feed them to my snakes.

9. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

1) The snakes never got harmed. Snakes are predators. Thats what they were born as and will always be. To not let them seek prey is a shame.

2) So you think watching shows on the Animal Channel where lions chase down animals and eat them is twisted? Its nature, its what animals do... :roll:

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Snakes getting hurt by their prey is one of those things...people say that they have been feeding live prey for years with no problem...and then one day it happens. ?http://www.proexotics.com/graphics/ball_python_live_prey_1.jpg

Wild animals do need to hunt, but captive animals do not. Would you put your dog in a box and then just throw in a live cat for it too eat. Or throw in a couple of hamsters for your cat?

I like watching wild animals on TV, hunt and kill their prey just like everybody else. But would you like to watch a lion and a zebra in a small enclosed area fighting to the death.

This is not the place to further discuss this so I'll stop here. If anyone would like to learn more or voice their opinion...come over to http://www.ssnakess.com/

11. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Joel has a 50 gallon fish tank he hangs out in. I put him in there when I feed him live mice. Other than that he is free to roam my computer room and even the house on some occasions. This may be frowned upon in snake circles. Joel and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Feeding the ol' boy frozen mice can be tricky because the mouse has to perfectly defrosted. I feed him twice a month and the hole process takes a matter of seconds depending on how stupid the rat is. I'm sure he gets scratches, but after eating he just just sits on his hot rock for days. Maybe the scars heal? I give him snake vitamins and he gets a check up once a year. Except for getting the sniffles two years ago he has always gotten a clean bill of health. Talk about fun, try giving him antibiotic shots. :shock:

12. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like snakes! These are nice images, too. It's fun to hold them and feel them wrapping themselves around your arm. Way cool. :D

Big Mike, I appreciate your comments very much. :thumbsup: