John Szarkowski, Curator of Photography, Dies at 81

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Iron Flatline, Jul 10, 2007.

1. From the New York Times

This is a tremendous loss, bigger than most of the famous photographers. Szarkowski was into photography till the very end, both personally and as a curator/narrator of the medium and art form. He had a show in LA as recently as four months ago, and his writing was on-going.

This was a giant, he will be missed a lot.

2. ...and as though he needs more "pimping", you really ought to add [ame="http://www.amazon.com/John-Szarkowski-Photographs/dp/0821261983/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-8360752-0804859?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184098238&sr=1-3"]this book[/ame] to your collection. It is a marvelous compendium not just of his photographs, but also of his thoughts, letters, and notes around the time of each of these shots. Marvelous.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It is great that he continued doing what he loved to do right up until the end, and that he had a full professional life. I hope I am as blessed.

4. BAB

BAB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes indeed he was a great man who did much for photography. I recall some of his work and exhibits at the Museum of Modern Art having grown up and attended photography school in New York City. He will indeed be missed by many.

5. TheLostPhotographer

TheLostPhotographer TPF Noob!

There are many people today who will argue adamantly that photography was THE art form of the 20th century. John Szarkowski said it loudest in the States. Hopefully many will continue to spread his words in Europe and the Rest of the World in future as well as the US.

81. Doing what you love doing. He had a good innings.

6. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can only add I hope we are all as fortunate to be 81 and still able to do what we love. Yes, he will be missed.

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Peace to the gods man. Szarkowski is a personal hero. He was a major influence in my college years. Not to mention the influence he had on my teachers. Bad for us. Good for John.

Love And Szarowski