Joined the Canon family

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ordered my first DSLR this weekend. After much deliberation and several trips to the electronics store (plus one day of overtime to stretch the budget a tad), I decided on a Canon EOS 50D. It should be here before the end of the week!

I'm super excited and just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me out with my fit of indecisiveness last week. Looking back I'm really glad I didn't jump on the impulse buy and I think I ended up getting a pretty good deal.

One question I have though is do you think I should get a book for mastering all of the features of the camera, or is the user's manual + tinkering around enough to get familiar with it? I already figured out the basic controls when trying it out on a display model (modes, how to change ISO, Aperature, Shutter speed...) but I'm sure there are some more advanced features that I don't even know about yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

You won't be disappointed. I was shooting with a 40D tonight and man i love it! Too bad it's not mine and i'm stuck with a D80 :(

As far as the book goes, just tinker around and read parts of the manual if you have questions. And then if you really think you don't know the camera well enough or want to further your knowledge of it then get the book. Why spend more money now if you may end up not using the book?

Have fun and good look on the picture taking!!

Congrats on your new 50D! That's one camera I wish I hadn't sold... I miss it. It takes beautiful pictures and is a dream to shoot. You're going to love that body.

I look forward to seeing your first shots.

Read the manual and take lots of test shots trying different things. That's how I learned the most. This book is the one I got the most use out of: Understanding Exposure.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Congrats on your new 50D! That's one camera I wish I hadn't sold... I miss it. It takes beautiful pictures and is a dream to shoot. You're going to love that body.

But... but... the 7D? Come on, don't regret. ;)

But... but... the 7D? Come on, don't regret. ;)

I don't have a 7D. :) I'm holding out for the 1dmk4... For now.

Read the manual and take lots of test pictures like Tempus said, that's what I did when I got my 500D last week. Also, I've been reading the "National Audubon Society Guide To Nature Photography: Digital Edition" and it's really informative and useful to a new DSLR owner, although if you're not going to photograph nature maybe something else would be better.

We're not so much a family as an autonomous collective intelligence containing the greatest photographic minds in the universe. Nikonians are a family with their lovey dovey kum-by-ya crap.

LOL @ Village Idiot

Welcome to the family pharmakon, this book is really good for getting started, and an excellent price right now; Amazon.com: PCPhoto Digital SLR Handbook (A Lark Photography Book) (0661741006029): Rob Sheppard: Books.

I know you will be happy with that body; the nnD's (10D-50D) have the same "help me set it up and shoot" settings as the nnnD's (Rebels). But also give you a lot of the advanced/professional features of the nD's (1,5, and 7D). Not only is it a great camera to learn with, it will continue to serve you as you get more advanced, and will allow you to develop you own techniques.

Now it's time to start saving for that good glass your going to want.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My old buddy... RIP.

487286447_CbnEX-L.jpg

:D

Most reactions

Back