Jon Lord - Concerto for Group and Orchestra

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by LaFoto, Jan 17, 2009.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyfv22_DEwE&feature=related]YouTube - Deep Purple - Concerto For Group and Orchestra[/ame]

This is one of the several videos on YouTube of Jon Lord and Deep Purple's performance of Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra in 1969 in London (I think).

And I am very, very happy to tell you that earlier today I got ourselves tickets for yet another performance of that self same Concert for Group and Orchestra, still WITH Jon Lord (but different band from Deep Purple) here in Germany, in Grugahalle in Essen, on 3 February, and to admit to you that now I am VERY excited about it and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH looking forward to it.

Yay! :D

2. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No one out there who's old enough to KNOW this piece?
    The score had disappeared and was all gone for 29 years, then a Dutch student re-wrote it according to the music on the LP and videos and all, and now it is back! :D

3. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone out there who KNOWS who Jon Lord is, at all?? What band he belonged to back then?

4. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I sure as heck know the group Deep Purple!!!! I can't say I know the score of the piece you mentioned (will go listen to/google it now).

Sounds like you 'scored' to get a ticket, as the Z├╝rich and Lucerne concerts were sold out and got a standing ovation. We'll want a report from you afterwards, please!!

5. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Well, I know Deep Purple, and I'm very aware of the Orchestra concept, but I hadn't heard of a callaboration :lol:

6. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've known the "Concerto" ever since I was about 13 or so. My sister still has the LP. But I hadn't come across it in AGES, and now I know why: the score had gone all lost and had to be reconstructed. A Dutch Student of Music did it from recordings, both audio as well as film/video ones. And now it is back there. And I am going to hear it live and am sooo excited about that already! :D Got the tickets in the mail today. Yay. :cheer:

7. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I just listened to the link, and it is indeed very cool. Except for the sound quality. That's not cool!

:lol: Have fun!

8. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Imagine when that film was made. In 1969 ... ! Check YouTube for newer recordings (though it is devastating to see what time and age do to people --- myself included, I'm afraid --- when you see Ian Gillan THEN and NOW ... oh-oh).
    And I WILL have fun! I know it! :D

9. sleepingdragon

sleepingdragon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh my, I haven't seen Deep Purple in concert in such long, long time. It was one of the best best concerts I've ever been to. I'm sure you will have lots of fun.

:band:

10. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tonight we'll go! :D :D :D
    The "group", by the way, who'll play the part of "group" in this "Concerto for Group and Orchestra" will not be Deep Purple themselves. Jon Lord no longer plays with them. They are other rock musicians who play the part.

11. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Enjoy! (As I'm sure you will) [​IMG]

12. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It was SUPER!!!
    Absolutely wonderful. Ever sooo enjoyable. One of the greatest concerts I have heard in years! Largest orchestra possible with all the instruments you can expect, including harp and the whole percussion instruments an orchestra have (4 percussionists alone!), plus rock band (not Deep Purple, of course, like I said, they called themselves Dead Composers Rocking Society, or DCRS), with bass, percussion, keyboard and guitar, then Jon Lord on his ancient old and famous Hammond Organ or piano, depending, and two singers, one male, one female. Very well done, and the guitarrist was very up to playing the Richie Blackmore parts!!! As was the singer for the Ian-Gillan-singing parts!!! It were 3 hours of smashingly fascinating music. Totally WOW! I am sooo happy to have been there!