Jonquil

suemack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Taken in the backyard. Canon 300D 18.-55 kit lens F11.0, ISO 200, 1/200, flash, man mode.

Jonquil11.jpg

sue

Yeah, a bit dark. I think a reflector bouncing the flash back onto the flower would help.

thanks for that :) ..........how would a reflectior work and can you use something like that with out side shots? Have only had this cam for a couple of months and a lot to learn.

Still only have the really basic stuff.....camera, one lens (90-300mm f4.5-5.6USM) .....next on shopping list is a tripod. Would love to get a macro lens but that's still the dream wish list!
sue

I think a reflector is a must for flower shots. Direct sunlight sucks and it's too contrasty. Shade and cloud cover works well but it's still a little flat. I like to shade the flower and bounce light onto it to give it some directional lighting which brings out the form. You can always go to walmart and get those windshield reflectors for $5. They work great!

Definately get yourself a tripod. :D

Do you use the on-camera flash or have you got a separate one? Presume your Walmart is like our 'The Warehouse' el cheapo bargain place. Hope you don't mind all these questions :)

I've been having a blast even w/out the tripod, visited our local petting zoo last w/end...... :wink: just for the practise of using the new lens of course :lol:

sue

Walmarts not really like the warehouse :lol:
The stuff doesnt actually fall apart in 2 weeks.

But Ive heard the warehouse has come up with their quality of stuff, so I wouldnt be afraid to get a tripod there.

YOu could make a reflector out of a big piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil ;)

suemack said:
Do you use the on-camera flash or have you got a separate one? Presume your Walmart is like our 'The Warehouse' el cheapo bargain place. Hope you don't mind all these questions :)

I've been having a blast even w/out the tripod, visited our local petting zoo last w/end...... :wink: just for the practise of using the new lens of course :lol:

sue
I don't use any flash for macro work. Though I do have a softbox now so I might give that whirl. If you want to see what it looks like simply shading the flower and throwing some reflected light check out these shots I took at the Getty center in LA.
http://www.redrockexposure.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

They're wonderful! That red dahlia .....the colours on that are scrumptious. I do see what you mean about the reflected light. A lot of the reds esp I've been getting in my flower pics have been way too harsh, not been quite so bad with the softer shades.

The light reflected is just the sunlight? Have never seen someone using a reflector.

Oops......better go, am going to be late to work!

:D

suemack said:
They're wonderful! That red dahlia .....the colours on that are scrumptious. I do see what you mean about the reflected light. A lot of the reds esp I've been getting in my flower pics have been way too harsh, not been quite so bad with the softer shades.

The light reflected is just the sunlight? Have never seen someone using a reflector.

Oops......better go, am going to be late to work!

:D
Yup, simple sunlight. I used to dread shooting in the afternoon sun with no cloudcover. But when you can alter the light it makes all the difference. Of course, I did have my beautiful assistant there to hold the reflector :)

suemack said:

sue

yeah, finding photo equipment for reasonable prices really blows here. I wouldn't trust the warehouse for tripods. If you are in auckland, 'camera and camera' is the best bet. They have the most reasonable prices in town and best gear.

They had a good travel tripod at this one place in Parnell (it was only about 60$ but has held together well), I'll see if I can remember the name of the place. It wasn't Pro Gear in Parnell, that place is evil - will never ever ever recommend anyone to go to those sheisters. :evil:

Where did you get your 300D?

like your avatar - hooray for the flightless birds of NZ :)

vonnagy said:
yeah, finding photo equipment for reasonable prices really blows here. I wouldn't trust the warehouse for tripods. If you are in auckland, 'camera and camera' is the best bet. They have the most reasonable prices in town and best gear.

They had a good travel tripod at this one place in Parnell (it was only about 60$ but has held together well), I'll see if I can remember the name of the place. It wasn't Pro Gear in Parnell, that place is evil - will never ever ever recommend anyone to go to those sheisters. :evil:

Where did you get your 300D?

Finding reasonably priced camera equipment is even more difficult up here in Whangarei ......I got both the 300D and Sony 717 from Huband's (local electrical place) I plan to head down to Auck for a look round the camera and tropical fish shops.......might take a few days at least!

Have seen tripods round most of the shops up here but budget is still a bit tight...............lens came first :lol: oh but it's soooo much fun!! emu at the petting zoo

The 300D is my first SLR and a real learning curve, very diff from a point and shoot.....much less forgiving of user error (of which there are many), but magic when you do get it right!

sue

WOW! Love that shot of the emu. The DOF really makes the subject pop!

Sue, what is the name of the lens you're using?

When I first started shooting my favorite lense was 70-210 and The control of DOF was an accepted trade-off for the compression. But since I've started shooting with the 300D/kit lens, I'm enjoying the illusion of depth from the lesser compression of a wider angle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back