Joxby and Veronica!

EZzing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Joxby, I've seen a few references about "Veronica". Can you share some information and maybe a picture or 2??

I love older cameras and the older the better when someone has nursed them back to health or just cleaned them up and is actively using them.

I would love to see it and view some photos taken with her.

All the best,

Bill

lullz, a thread bout my.....affair....:confused:

This is her, isn't she lovely, posing for Readers Wi..........Cameras
With a face only a mother could love.

Seriously though, she's ancient *poses with friend Yashica* same generation.
You dont want anything this tempremental, better off with an SQ or a Hasslebladd no matter how much your prepared to tinker, if they cant take pictures they're just doorstops....or conversation pieces.
I had these photos to hand, partly because people sometimes ask to see them and partly because, I bought her with a 75mm lens and was astounded, when I bought one, by the size and beauty of a 50mm, you can see right to left an ordinary 50mm 1.8 for my D70, the 75, and the 50 mounted on V.
I'll post some shots taken with her here, I dont feel good about posting them because I dont own anything that can come close to re-creating digitally the stunning depth of colour, detail and dynamic range that I see with my own eyes in negs and transparencies, but for research purposes:D.

nwarns.jpg

yicld.jpg

349f8s3.jpg

I've been looking to replace her functionally, and I do like Bronicas, so I'll probably end up with an SQ myself, I've looked an awfull lot at Bladds 500 serise, its just those Planer lenses are wicked but you gotta pay for them, if a Bladd came along for a bit more money than an SQ, I'd take it.

god I wish I could attach pics, much less messing about

The EC was produced in the early 70's, EC stands for Electronic Control, it was the first model produced with electonic shutter control, soon after came the ECTL which added metering through the lens.
It has a split mirror, its in two parts, 3/4 of it go up and 1/4 goe's down in an actuation, supposedly it reduces mirror slap vibration, but I can tell you it goes off like a shotgun anyway....recoil....I just use mirror lock-up.
Theres not that many bits for them these days, it doesnt share many parts with the later incarnations the S2 and S2A except lenses....thats it...your into SQ's

Joxby, She's a beauty ! Thanks for sharing. All of the things you mentioned about depth of color and the detail is exactly why I want a really nice Medium Format. There really is a beauty related to function and good utility !

I can't do much beyond replacing light seals at this point in time and I definitely want something ready to go and shoot!

I saw a pentax 645 that was VERY tempting! But I keep finding myself being drawn towards the Bronica.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Transparencies are 50mm and the B/W are 75mm all Veronica.
There is detail in all the blacks on the negs, and they are actually sharp but my scanner is captain crapola.
Provia 400, Velvia 100 and HP5 400 respectively. m'thinks.
I took a similar beach shot with mamiya 6 on Velvia 100 to compare sharpness, they're about the same....sharp
mmmm, Velvia :lovey:

edit- the sky in the first one into the sun, would be totally blown to bits on digital.

35jgy7k.jpg

1zeb7zt.jpg

21bj0i0.jpg

2624h3b.jpg

Hi Joxby, these are very nice images you got from the "old girl" up there! She is indeed a beauty. I enjoy shooting with older cameras as well - they are beautifully built, durable and feel great to use.

Transparencies can be challenging to scan, especially with delicate highlights. I've no doubt the slide has more detail than the scan could show.

Thanks for posting these.

Joxby, Those are VERY NICE. I need to put a good scanner on my list of wants/needs too!

I'm going to have to read up on scanners. The only one available to me is the one built into my computer printer. It can't give a clear copy of a typed letter LOL.

The blue in the sky is incredible compared to what I get with my 35mm.

I'm cleaning up my Weltaflex TLR and an old Zeiss 520 I bought on Ebay and I should be done in a week or so give or take! I want to try them on the same subject with the same film taken minutes apart etc. all things being equal so I can see a comparison.

So far I'm not having much luck finding somewhere to develop them. Our local drugstores give me a pretty blank look when I ask. I tried the local Walmart and the guy looked at me like I was nuts when he suggested that I must have 110 and not 120 to be developed and I assured him I actually had a 120 camera and the FILM! HA HA HA

I started picking up pieces one at a time to put together my own darkroom, but that will take even more time.

I will have to order some velvia off the internet.

Do you develop and print your photos yourself???

Thanks for sharing your photos!
Seeing them makes me want to get out more and SHOOT SOME FILM !!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Bill

Bill,

A lot of minilabs can develop 120 and 220 colour negative and chromogenic B&W film (C-41) but they can't print it, so I suggest that you keep trying. It is no problem finding mail-in labs for E-6, C-41, normal B&W and Scala, for both 120 and 220 (in those cases where 220 is available). The only current process that is unavailable for 120 is K-14, but there is very little 120 Kodachrome left.

My snaps probably aren't the kind of thing that grabs your fancy, but I don't bother developing my own 120 or 220 C-41 and Scala. I only do the normal B&W films myself.

Good luck,
Helen

Hi Joxby, these are very nice images you got from the "old girl" up there! She is indeed a beauty. I enjoy shooting with older cameras as well - they are beautifully built, durable and feel great to use.

Transparencies can be challenging to scan, especially with delicate highlights. I've no doubt the slide has more detail than the scan could show.

Thanks for posting these.

Thankyou..
In the big camera scheme, she's only middle aged, but I do enjoy using her more than the rangefinder, I dont know why.

Joxby, Those are VERY NICE. I need to put a good scanner on my list of wants/needs too!

I'm going to have to read up on scanners. The only one available to me is the one built into my computer printer. It can't give a clear copy of a typed letter LOL.

The blue in the sky is incredible compared to what I get with my 35mm.

I'm cleaning up my Weltaflex TLR and an old Zeiss 520 I bought on Ebay and I should be done in a week or so give or take! I want to try them on the same subject with the same film taken minutes apart etc. all things being equal so I can see a comparison.

So far I'm not having much luck finding somewhere to develop them. Our local drugstores give me a pretty blank look when I ask. I tried the local Walmart and the guy looked at me like I was nuts when he suggested that I must have 110 and not 120 to be developed and I assured him I actually had a 120 camera and the FILM! HA HA HA

I started picking up pieces one at a time to put together my own darkroom, but that will take even more time.

I will have to order some velvia off the internet.

Do you develop and print your photos yourself???

Thanks for sharing your photos!
Seeing them makes me want to get out more and SHOOT SOME FILM !!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Bill

The scanner thing is a bind, main gripe is dynamic range, the subtle shading detail in blacks, the best scanners for that (besides drum scanners) also happen to be hi-res reproduction 4000dpi+ and thats what the money gets tied up in I think.
I do my own B/W negs, I have equipment to do E6 but not got round to it yet, maintaining vital life signs takes up the rest of my time.
I've never printed anything but if scanners cant meet expectation half way, I might have to, though I've seriously considered 8x10 contacts.
E6 developement is a real problem, there is only one lab in the North of England doing E6 for Joe public, it just happens to be close to me, and this is in an area that contains several major city's, not some sheep shed on top of a hill, no 120 film either, thats right, you cant even buy the film let alone get it developed...its quite ridiculous....all my film/chemicals are from the internet.
heck, theres 8 threads worth of subjects in this natter.
The blues in that night shot are a cool but velvia in daylight has typically warm saturated glow..

Provia v Velvia (Mam 6) 10 minutes apart
2qscks0.jpg

Velvia 100f in daylight.
2iu22pf.jpg

:lovey:Velvia

I might shut up for a bit, I could talk about film rubbish till the cows come home, bore everybody to death..

Bill,
My snaps probably aren't the kind of thing that grabs your fancy, but I don't bother developing my own 120 or 220 C-41 and Scala. I only do the normal B&W films myself.

Good luck,
Helen

I think you should let Bill/us decide that:D

Helen, Your photos are unique! They are well done and I think I would say thoughtful and thought provoking.

The snow that lost its purity says alot in itself and it reminds me of the 4 years I was around Pittsburgh. The new fallen snow and the ice in the trees would be beautiful until it turned gray and black.

There is something about the depth and clarity that really continues to draw me into the medium format.

I still have everything to learn, but I know what I like!

Thanks for sharing.

I appreciated your advice in the other posts !

Bill

I just visited the 2nd link ! Is WOWZA in our dictionary yet?

The colors in the Bhagirathi Parbat from Gangotri Glacier photos are AWESOME!

I'm glad I met you and Joxby on this forum.

I hope to be able to use a camera and have the understanding you guys do at some point in time.

Take care

Bill

JOXBY, Those photos are AWESOME. I can order velvia online and it's lot more reasonable than our local shop.

The beach with the deep blue sky has incredible depth.

I need to learn ASAP ! You guys are GREAT!

Bill

Well I was hoping that folks would indeed decide for themselves. It is only that I don't really expect anybody to like my work.

Best,
Helen

My...some of those really take me back to my childhood, I remember that Morris 1100 parked in front of the parade of shops, I see the subject is the tent that "grew" out of the pavement, but those shops, the car and the dude with the cutting edge fashion tache a la 70's is beau, the woman with the pushchair looks as though she just stopped, and now shes waiting for it to dissappear....like at traffic lights....lol.
I gotta say something about Louis because I do like your street portraits/stuff, but that one is just great, he's so sharp, looks like he stepped out of a 60's photograph with his Graphic, suit and trilby, and into an 80's slower shutter background.
The pace of modern life V Louis and his speed Graphic from yesteryear.
Just a great portrait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back