JPEG/RAW

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my D-90 for a while now and have been shooting in JPEG fine because I don't have post. I do have View NX and you can boost the color in jpeg but that's about all, however you can do a little more adjusting in RAW. It's going to be a while before I get Capture NX because it seems to be user friendly (I'm a computer dummy and programs like Gimp are way beyond me), and I'll probably wind up having to get a new computer too. I'm using a Sandisk 2GB card now and can get about 200 Jpeg fine frames. What size card would I need to shoot at least 100 frames of RAW+Jpeg fine? Also, I read that RAW eats a lot of battery power. Should I put an extra battery on top of the list? Thanks, Tom Beard P.S. Thanks for the encouragement about posting. I've been trying to (using TPF) but keep getting messages that a "Security token was missing" and the photos won't upload. When I figure out what that means, I'll post. TB

i would pick up an 8Gb card, extra battery and battery grip. youll be good then

No need for all that. Get the 8Gb card and you should be fine. Not sure how good the D90 is with battery (I use Canon) but on a Rebel XSi (low-budget) you can get at least 600 shots without flash. On higher end rebels (T2i) you can get easily 700-800. On pro-line (which the D90 might count as) you can usually get over 1000 shots per charge without flash. Using JPeg+RAW you could still probably get a good 700+

Depending on the shot, the size of the RAW file will vary. My 18mp CR2 RAW files average about 25 MB each. If I do the math, I can ideally get around 320 shots on my 8 GB SD card.

I don't know much about Nikon RAW (is it .NEF ?) but the D-90 has less megapickels than a T2i so you might be able to squeeze even more shots on to your 8GB card.

As far as batteries.. you can't shoot without them, so if you're in doubt, pony up.

Depending on the shot, the size of the RAW file will vary. My 18mp CR2 RAW files average about 25 MB each. If I do the math, I can ideally get around 320 shots on my 8 GB SD card.

I don't know much about Nikon RAW (is it .NEF ?) but the D-90 has less megapickels than a T2i so you might be able to squeeze even more shots on to your 8GB card.

As far as batteries.. you can't shoot without them, so if you're in doubt, pony up.

FR-00033-C.jpg

Buy a second battery and battery grip! you wont regret it. some will allow you to even work your 90 off of AA batteries if you find yourself stranded with two dead EL3e's.

What size card would I need to shoot at least 100 frames of RAW+Jpeg fine? Also, I read that RAW eats a lot of battery power. Should I put an extra battery on top of the list?
A 4 GB card would be more than large enough for 100 RAW + JPEG.

Shooting RAW doesn't have anything to do with how long a battery will last, It's more important to turn off features like displaying every shot on the LCD right after releasing the shutter, and leaving the meter and focus systems active when they aren't needed.

A single fully charged battery in a D90 should be good for up to 1000 shots with the above mentioned settings addressed.

Dig out your users manual and you will find the particulars for each menu setting..

Last edited:
Two points:

1. Consider how you are reading your card into your computer. If you are using a card reader you need to be sure that it support SD/HC card before you buy a card larger than 2g. The maximum size for an SD card is 2g. Anything larger is a different format card. There is only one-way compatibility between the two formats. SD cards can be read by any SD/HC device (the D90's card slot is an SD/HC slot and not an SD slot) but SD devices can not read SD/HC cards. If you get a larger card you may need a new card reader.

2. While shooting RAW will not increase battery drain on a per minute of use basis, it will take longer (2-3x) for the camera to write the image data to the card. This can mean that you will get fewer shots per charge, but only if you shoot fast and consistently. In normal use, you spend so much time doing other things (viewing, framing the image, focusing, metering) that the additional drain from the longer write time is inconsequential.

My D60 in RAW only is about 8.5mb per shot.

My 8gb card averages about 670 shots. I've only filled it once, and I was on vacation for a week without access to my computer.

My D60 in RAW only is about 8.5mb per shot.

My 8gb card averages about 670 shots. I've only filled it once, and I was on vacation for a week without access to my computer.
My D60 .NEF's run 7.5 MB to 9.75 MB depending on content.

D90 .NEF's run about the same because they both use the same Compressed 12-bit NEF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back