JPEG vs RAW

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
with digital cameras i know RAW is meant to be better than Jpeg for edditing later on, but i don't understand how or why. What can you acheive with
RAW format that you cant with Jpeg. The manuals for my camera dont explain why the just say thats the way it is.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks

It all looks a bit complicated to me, i think that probably means i should shooot jpeg, for now at least. I checcked out the link to the "Jpeg hate site" too. they both have valid arguements.

What do you use your self Jonmikal

I was debating this same issue a week ago. i shoot a lot of outdoor zoo stuff, and the shade can really throw off my photos (especially since I use manual lenses and all the metering is done by me). I shot in RAW for awhile, because its easier to adjust all of your levels and you can control exposure compensation, white balance, etc. However, now I shoot in JPEG fine and can play with the histogram as much as I want.

I am a beginner, so I don't know all the tricks to RAW, but I do know that even with 1 gig RAm and a really nice CPU, nikon capture takes forever!!! I would rather work in JPEG and save my time.

But I am sure RAW is the best for pros and people who know how to use it---at least I would imagine so.

Craig

Most reactions

Back