jumping in

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, if this just sounds stupid, let me know now. (i mean ill probably try anyway but at least ill have some heads up)

i live in the bay area of CA which has a pretty happening music scene. By day i am a mild mannered chemist and by night i am a muscian. I'm thinking about seeing if i can get gigs shooting music venues or other aspects of photography dealing with music. As a musician i feel like there probably is a market for this, When i have played gigs before, its nice to have good pictures and i think there may be bands out there looking for cover art or more professionally done photographs so they can advertise their band. (by professionally done i mean a friend with a small point and shoot didnt take pictures)
im only interested in having some fun, seeing some bands, mostly meeting people in bands so i can get more in to the actual playing part of the music scene and maybe while im at it, making some small cash on the side.
I wouldnt want to be doing this every night, optimal would be one band a month or so.

my questions are
do you think there is a market for this?

where would i advertise
-i've looked at craigslist and thought about going on word of mouth. (AKA do a show or two free and give the band some nice impressive prints and get them to tell other bands they know etc etc)

and finally have i lost my mind?

I think this is a GREAT idea!!!
I'd say craigslist for sure. I think they have a section for 'creative'. Try posting something in there.
I've never had much luck taking pictures of bands (4 rolls of film GONE.. like THAT) but if you can take some good shots then go for it.

My brothers in a band and I've been to a few amateur nights before.

Personally this is what I would do.
Start a webpage. Show up and just start taking pictures. After the show hand out business cards (they're real cheap at vista print) and tell them to check your site and they can contact you at their convience if they want prints or like your pictures enough to hire you for something else.

Good luck.
I hope this turns out for you

The market in photography is where you make it. There are no 9-5 jobs in photography, if you think you can do this you have to find the people who want to buy your photos and sell them to them.

Herman Leonard is famous for his jazz photography (he recently published a book with some stunning photographs). I saw a documantary with him on tv just a week ago. Basicly he got permission to photograph and in return he would give copies of his photographs to the owner and the artist. But this might not be much of a selling point now that practicly everyone has a camera. But still, I recommend you take a look at his work. He's got some great pictures.

Here's one of his photographs;
HL_1001.jpg

I've lived with, partied with, and photographed a lot of musicians, shows, and bands. One thing they all seem to have in common is a lack of money. If you want to photograph musicians and shows because you enjoy it, then definately go for it. Pursuing a subject because you are passionate about it, and enjoy photographing it is about the best reason I can think of to do photography. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and hook up with Rolling Stone mag. If you would like to actually make money with photography I'd suggest finding a different client base.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back