Junkyard photo for C&C (HDR)

bmrust

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rust-media.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please let me know what you think of this photo.

I like how it turned out, but others may not ;)

junkyard.jpg

F/5.6
1/100
3 exposures +/-2

HDR v2
junkyard_2

Normal Exposure:

junkyard_orig.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
From what I've tried with HDR it seems to work better with less colors. Like black and white pictures or monochrome or pictures with little color. But thats what i've seen personally. This picture looks like hte HDR didn't do much for it. How much did you offset each shot by?

From what I've tried with HDR it seems to work better with less colors. Like black and white pictures or monochrome or pictures with little color. But thats what i've seen personally. This picture looks like hte HDR didn't do much for it. How much did you offset each shot by?
3 exposures +/-2

The number of color HDR images HERE beg to differ with you.

I think it looks great. Much better than the fake HDR's that have been posted recently. Bmrust, care to post he "normal" exposure for comparison?

Added normal exposure.

Thanks for the comments. I've been struggling to find good subject to shoot for HDR. I took a lot of shots at the junkyard, but this was my favorite of all of them.

It might just be me (I'm still learning and a newbie myself), but the white balance in the HDR looks really warm. I like the more neutral white balance in the "normal" exposure shot.

I like the shot though. I think you did a good job with the tone mapping to make it look "natural" and not surrealistic like so many other HDR shots. (However sometimes I really like that surrealistic look).

-Andy

3 exposures +/-2

The number of color HDR images HERE beg to differ with you.

I think it looks great. Much better than the fake HDR's that have been posted recently. Bmrust, care to post he "normal" exposure for comparison?

I wish I could learn how to do HDR like your photos, they look so amazing!

normal is best imo...
the hdr is over exposed.

I also prefer the normal photo.

Is there more photos from the junkyard? The shot on it's own does not do anything for me.

I added a new HDR for you guys to critique. I reduced the warm-ness of it, and brought down the saturation a lot. It almost looks like the normal exposure above (to me)... but I do see a lot of difference in the tire in the upper left. (See OP)

Also, here's some others from the yard. Non-HDR, just some photos I kind of liked.

CarPhoto02.jpg

CarPhoto03.jpg

CarPhoto04.jpg

CarPhoto05.jpg

in my humble opinion, I think all of these would benefit from a slightly faster shutter. parts of each one look blown out. cool pics though.

Cool shots, and a great location. I think it'd be even better if you filled the frame with the more obscure crushed cars and went for a more abstract shot; there are a lot of cool, interesting patterns and colours in that scene, and a general view doesn't do them all justice.

Cool pictures. I think the noise in some of the pics need to be brought down

noise? not sure what noise you are talking about... can you be a bit more clear?

I was shooting at ISO 100, but it was extremely dusty there.

which image(s) were you referring to?

Hey man, I saw that you allow edits so I thought I would just run an image of yours through Topaz Adjust 3.
I loaded it and when down the list of presets and when I got to Psychedelic this is what came up. I thought it looked kind of cool and it brought out some previously underexposed areas and toned down some of the brighter areas.

Of course I could have adjusted it (more wild to more wild) but I thought this was a good example of the programs presets.

If you run PS and haven't checked their plug ins out, maybe try the free fully functional 30 day trial of Topaz Adjust 3.

1111.jpg

The photo below was just me running it back through Topaz, this time through "Spicify"... haha they have cool presets.
2222.jpg

If you dislike it immensely just let me know and I'll take it down ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back