Just a couple boys

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just a couple cute boys I had in the last couple days....still trying to figure out my white/grey splotchy background issues

0796.jpg

0757.jpg

0755.jpg

0707.jpg

0319.jpg

0293.jpg

0276.jpg

0261.jpg

0256.jpg

I hope I'm not being harsh, but none of these quite grab me. I guess it's hard with studio photos.

What kind of cam do you use

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you are not lighting your background. The catch light in the eyes suggests that you are only using 1 light and that it is way too close to the camera.

I would suggest you study lighting setups and try something different.

I think they are great. I would love to have pictures like that of my boys on the wall. Im sure their mother is very happy with the pictures.

This is a very nice session. Nice variety of posing and expressions.

I'm not having any trouble with the backgrounds. And, I do see more than one light here. And the placement of lights seems fine too.

Good job!

-Pete

yeah, I'm not all that happy with my lighting setup and trying to figure out what I can do different. I have a softbox and umbrella at each corner. I am currently in my parent's basement until me and my fiance find a place. I only have about 10-12ft wide to work with because of a post in the basement. And probably 16-18ft in lenght to work with. So.....not the greatest conditions but am trying to make it work. I did borrow a third light one day from a friend to try and brighten up my white backdrop. To get the light behind the subject it was like a spotlight in the middle of the backdrop.....then when I moved it back I obviously blew out the subject. Don't have enough room on both sides to have a light on both sides. What can I do???? With seniors I could hide the third light behind them but with kids that is obviously not gonna happen. Any suggestions if any of what I just said makes any sense???

If you want a white background, you need a background light.

You can have the softbox be your key, a reflector or piece of foamcore be your fill, and the umbrella light be your background light 2 stops brighter than the key.

That will get you white backgrounds.

I would suggest using one light on the ceiling pointed toward the background so it illuminates the background. If you can, let it spill a little light on the back of the subjects head. To make the background a clean white, if your camera is set for f5.6 for the subject, light the background for f11.

With 18 feet of usable length, try to keep your subject at least 5 feet from the background - 7 or 8 would be better.

Then put the softbox to the side of the subject, but aim it in front of the face, not at the face, so it washes across. Put a reflector on the opposite side to kick light back on the other side for a fill.

That should give you nice dimensional lighting with 2 lights.

If you get a 3rd, use it as a hairlight and dedicate the background light to that use.

I wouldn't worry about a fill light so long as the reflector is kept close. White foam core or a piece of pink foam insulation with a sliver finish works great and is very inexpensive. There are a lot of times that a softbox and a reflector is all you'll need.

The balance comes from experimenting with the distance of the softbox and reflector to the subject. I suggest you start with the softbox about 3-4 feet and the reflector at half that distance.

For kids, get the lights set up first. Then put them on a stool or in a chair and you should get a few nice portraits before they get too antsy.

Anyway, give it a try and see what you get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back