Just a couple of photojournalism/portrait style things

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
I've kind of become the pet photographer here at the school where I teach. The 7th grade music teacher got a grant to bring in this 'Drums of Africa' group that does school presentations. I got called in to shoot. Terrible conditions--big open gym (even my speedlite 550EX was outmatched in most of the shots), awful ambient lighting (2 or 3 different types = 2 or 3 different color temps to work around), but I managed to snag at least a few decent photos...

IMG_6686_edited_RS.jpg

IMG_6693_edited_RS.jpg

IMG_6698_edited_RS.jpg

Those are great shots, very crisp, especially considering your lighting issues.

The colors are wonderful in these shots. I like how in the group shots you can see the performers faces as well as the audiences at the same time - but my fav's are the first and the fourth.

craig said:
Very clear! Gym lighting is the pits. Did you shoot some frames slow shutter without flash?

Nah, I didn't even bother trying. I've shot in that gym before w/o flash and it's just about pointless. Have to go to ISO 1600 and then I've got so much grain that after I correct for the awful lighting temps, the photos are almost useless.

I'm very happy that you posted the second two after you had posted the first lot because I like those two best of the whole series.
The lady in your first portrait won't like herself too much in this one, for no one likes himself with their eyes closed in photos, though others might not even mind as much.
But I very much like the second portrait, and the lone drummer with the audience for the "live feeling". Also he so clearly is in communication with his audience in this moment - I very much like this!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back