Just a Girl and Her Canon... And a Boy with His Glock

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are two older photos, but they are some of my favorites. I'm curious to know what you think of them; I think I'd like to take more... interest/hobby portraits?... and make a sort of series or storyboard project with it. It seems better (and easier) to take a picture of a person when they are really into what they're doing.

OH! I know I posted the second on the Beginner's forum awhile back; please know that my safety was not a risk whatsoever when this was taken. Everyone was (although lovingly) very concerned.

Just a Girl and Her Canon
5474670026_8f7243cc68_z.jpg

And a Boy with His Glock
5490482822_e06a3ac879_z.jpg

However beautiful the pictures might be, the gun concept is inappropriate. I donot care how beautiful the picture maybe.

However beautiful the pictures might be, the gun concept is inappropriate. I donot care how beautiful the picture maybe.
Not to me. I don't approve of pointing a firearm at anyone that isn't about to get shot, but I do think it's an interesting perspective.

I also prefer my Beretta to a Glock ;)

Okay, so I can admit the mistake of standing behind the camera when this was done. But, just for the sake of the photograph itself, say I did this remotely. Actually, I'm considering retaking this that way... but then again, maybe not. That might take away from the emotional impact.

Interesting, or should I say provoking. Now I kind know what it is like to be pointed with a gun.

For your Glock shot run a 115grn silvertip bullet into the barrel just short of the end with a rod so it's visible, making it appear to be on it's way out... lets see the folks complain about where the gun is pointing then.

You forgot to add "in my opinion". Because it is only your opinion.

How is it inappropriate? Guns get pointed and fired at individuals everyday. If this was a Photojournalist last photo he took before being shot it would win awards. So how would you differentiate the two???

I like it and don't think it is inappropriate in any way.

For your Glock shot run a 115grn silvertip bullet into the barrel just short of the end with a rod so it's visible, making it appear to be on it's way out... lets see the folks complain about where the gun is pointing then.

Interesting idea. I might do it.

You forgot to add "in my opinion". Because it is only your opinion.

How is it inappropriate? Guns get pointed and fired at individuals everyday. If this was a Photojournalist last photo he took before being shot it would win awards. So how would you differentiate the two???

I like it and don't think it is inappropriate in any way.

Thanks. And I like the way you think.

Any thoughts on the first, anyone?

You meant, a girl and a dirty sensor? :p

The only thing I can say other than what was said is that finger placement is totally irresponsible.....but you've been reamed enough, the first one makes me uncomfortable because so much dust is entering the body!

You elicited a viceral reaction.

You win.

As my friend would say, almost too on the nose in this case, but appropriate nonetheless... "bang... art!"

The camera could have been fired remotely with no one behind it while the gun was aimed. Not saying it was or that it even matters to me, but it's a possibility. The end of the barrel looks a bit soft to me, perhaps it's not perfectly focused?

The camera one doesn't really do anything for me, and I don't understand why there's no lens on the camera, lol... Flash is too harsh.

The Glock one - I like. I think it could use just a little more DOF though, just enough to get the front sight in focus.

As far as safety - I'll give you the benefit of doubt. And as far as finger placement - it doesn't go bang unless you pull the trigger. If you were going for "I'm about to shoot you", that would be hard to pull off with the finger outside of the trigger guard... For all we can tell, there might not even be a magazine in it. Even if we could see the bottom of the gun, an empty mag well could easily be covered by a supporting hand. If I were taking that picture, I would personally inspect the gun to make sure it was unloaded and there wasn't any ammo nearby though. Just saying - don't take the other guy's word for it, check yourself. Then double check. ;)

I used to have a bunch of similar pictures, but they're long gone...

Most reactions

Back