Just a quick message for the beginners (and pros as well)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rub, May 28, 2008.

1. rub

rub New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +210 / 0
    Today I was quite frusterated that no one else commented on the photos I posted. And that got me thinking...how many times have I commented on someone elses photos. Hmmm, about the same numberas people have commented on mine.

I guess I feel that because I am learning, what I say might not be "correct." But you know what, if a picture makes me say Oh, I like that! Wow, thats incedible! Oh, geez, that could really use some work on the exposure or composition. Or that subject doesn't appeal to me at all -- I'm gonna say it.

I know we all have busy lives, but for the amount of time I come here and browse, what would it take for me to spend 5 mins and give a little C&C. Nothing, at all.

So for all you new people who want some feedback, who want advice on what camera to buy, which lens to get, how to break into wedding photography or anything else, make sure you give something back as well.
    I'm sure even the seasoned pros around here would like to get a few comments on the photographs they post.

ps - Thanks to everyone who provides such great information on this site. Hope I can return the favor in some way, some day. And expect to see me posting a lot more in the future.
  2. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my opinion, no matter what your level of experience, your opinion is valuable. I take everyone's thoughts on my photos into account, regardless of how long they've been doing this.

Even if you can't articulate why you like a photo everyone likes to hear that you like what you see.
  3. caspertodd

caspertodd New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Not necessarily, there are some people here that genuinely get pissed off when you tell them that you like their photo with no explanation.
  4. asfixiate

asfixiate New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Did I comment? I can only be on this forum while at work on and off or at home depending on what time it is.
  5. christopher walrath

christopher walrath New Member

Milton, DE USA (formerly Columbiana Co, OH)
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There are probably others here, but I generally avoid 'C&C me' type threads. Just me.
  6. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    me too... there are SOOO many new "first shot CC" threads on here each day, if i viewed them all I would be sitting here forever... I have found too that since dslr's are becoming cheaper, more and more people are buying them, and you get a lot of the same shots... I've found MOST (not all) of the first shot cc threads are all of the same things... flowers, pets, babies, sunsets, then it is inevitable that someone will also post a picture of a waterfall and say "how do I make mine look like this" and they post a picture of a waterfall with a long shutter.... .... and they all tend to just blend together after a while, so i've just stopped posting on them, unless they really wow me for "first shots"
  7. GeorgiaOwl

GeorgiaOwl New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then, there might just be alot of jerks here. :) LOL

I agree with the OP.
  8. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if that makes me a jerk, i guess i'm a jerk
  9. JerryPH

JerryPH New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I do as well.

I mean... if you cannot tell if your own picture is too dark or too bright or blurred or crooked, you don't need me to tell you that. Beginner C&C is 90% based on the above, so I do not get involved in the request for C&C in the beginner threads.

I do look in the proper forum for that, but if someone already expressed my thoughts, I will not post.

If that makes me a jerk, well, it seems we have a pretty good club of jerks going, so just add me to the list.
  10. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  11. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +6,198 / 0
    Some interesting comments; I had thought one of the main purposes of the photo galleries was to showcase photographer's work for comment & critique. I like to think of myself as, at the very least, a semi-skilled photographer, but I certainly always appreciate input from others. In large part because I've learned that what I like is not necessarily what everyone else likes, and if you're trying to flog a photo or two to earn a new lens, well, guess what, you have to go with what "they" like, and not always what you like.

As for the comments relating to "too many noobies posting the same thing" really, how long does it take to look a half-dozen images, mention things like a brightening, straightened horizon, suggestion for a crop... Unfortunately, because I will only have a work connection to the Internet 'til late in the fall, I'm very limited. I no longer have access to Flickr, Photobucket, or any of the more commonly used hosting services. That said, I will stop by as best my bandwidth allows, and offer what I believe is the most appropriate comment I can, when I am able.

We were all beginners once!
  12. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we were all beginners.. as was i... but i didnt post my flower pics because i saw how many people posted flower pics... i waited until "I" was happy with my pictures, I didn't pull my d40 out of the box, take 5 pictures and then post them... I waitied months, practiced, studied, and learned, THEN when things were looking good to my eye, I went for the opinion of the masses
  13. JerryPH

JerryPH New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    In the case of beginner C&C, what do the newbies want? Some come for the pat on the back and ego boost, but most want to know how to improve. Now, if the advice offered was above their heads (as it would be for anyone that has no knowledge base becuase they ARE new), a lot of the critical advice would be pretty much wasted.

For me to start posting to someone saying brighten up, contrast more, straighten the horizon, sharpen more, saturate less, etc... Come on, do we really need to go there? Is that not something that anyone with a pair of eyes could not just as easily see in their own pics?

I think that C&C doesn't become a USEFUL tool until the beginner is a little less of a beginner. Let's say after they've taken a couple thousand pics and learned the difference between the "A" on the lens and the "A" on the camera body.

Personally, I did not need anyone to tell me my pics are blurry or crooked and I don't see the need to tell someone else the obvious either.

I think that this kinda leads me into a pet peeve that sprung out from another thread. People are just conditioned into being too lazy to do their own leg-work. The internet makes everything a one click solution so, instead of taking 10 min to look at their own work, they pull the camera out of the box, take 5 pics and post asking for help. Well, thats not the biggest issue... what is the biggest issue is that when you tell them to read their manual or (heaven forbid) do a search, they get insulted!

Maybe I am getting a little frustrated with this attitude, and it is starting to show up in my posts, but I haven't yet been PMed by a moderator frowing and wagging a finger at me to watch it... maybe becuase they too are starting to feel that way?

I'll stop now.
  14. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't really want to get into specifics: but (Tirediron) you are being too generic here...
    TRUE: forums enable showcasing and C&C - and while your images and many others may be worthy of C&C there are others which, frankly, are just mediocre (at best) and pooss pir (at worst)... Some images I have seen on here are way beyond "brightening", "horizon straightening", "suggestions for a crop" - they are seriously OOF, seriously blown-out, and even the word amateurish would be 'kind'...
    No..! (Tirediron) "they" would seriously not pay money for such images...
    And I will seriously not offer my comment to obvious crap photography that has been posted with "Whadya tink 'o these..?" headlines...
    Man... The camera boffins have spent KryptoZillion$ developing and perfecting the tech of their brands - so there is little excuse for posting poor quality images... Beginners or not...
    Nil Carborundum Illegitomi
    Jedo
  15. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well said jedo... blunt and to the point... took the words out of my mouth
  16. JerryPH

JerryPH New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    You'll have to forgive me, Latin is not one of the 9 languages that I speak, so help me out with this one... lol
  17. mrodgers

mrodgers New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    What chrisburke said....

I commented in a similar thread a while ago about how people were posting a list of 20 or so pictures, then at the end asking, "what do you think?"

"Ah, yeah, I think that's a lot of pictures....."

I doubt it was from my comment, but I do see much less of the posting of 20 photos in a single thread.

If you want to learn from your critiqued photos, the best way is to critique it yourself. After your critique can no longer improve your own photo, then post a shot or up to 3 similar shots and ask for a specific area of critique. It's much easier to critique a photo when there is a certain area of question about the photo. Just reading and learning on the forum here an across the web about photography will solve many of the "it's over/under exposed, it's out of focus, it's not very interesting" comments of critiques.

Indeed, do not pull the camera out of the box for the first time, and come here to ask for critique on your first 5 images taken with the camera. There is a mountain of information to learn by just reading this forum that will teach you far faster than sitting waiting for someone to comment on the 2nd shot from your camera ever.

I haven't posted many photos on here myself. I am here to read this section and the "beyond beginners" section to learn about pretty much everything since I had no idea about any of it when I bought my camera. I've taken 6000+ shots on my camera now since last December, and I already know what is wrong or not with every one of them without posting a photo for critique just from learning while reading the forum. As I read more and try stuff like "meter the sky outdoors" or "meter your hand" and learn more about the functions of a camera, my photos improve constantly. I was at a hockey game, and a few weeks afterwards, learned a bit more on this forum that would have helped me tremendously at the game. All without posting a list of 20 photos here and asking at the end, "what do you think?"
  18. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "don't let the bastards grind you down" is what google told me... guess it was coined in WW2

Illegitimi non carborundum is a mock-Latin aphorism jokingly taken to mean "don't let the bastards grind you down"
  19. JerryPH

JerryPH New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    ROFL! One to add to my list, then!
    "Ne illegitimi carbunculi tibi in facie sint"

:lmao::lol:
  20. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124812

Above is a thread of a noob with a "first pictures from camera out the box"

In this case the noob picked up a few idea's without disturbing anyone's life. Was he lazy? This is matter of opinion depending on one persons particular style of learning.

Did people out there bothered by this type of poster have to respond? NO..

Did somebody out there with a little extra time on their hand help this student? YES..

Will this student most likely be inspired to continue their improvement? YES..

Will this student most likely be inclined to help others when he becomes more knowlegable? PROBABLY YES..

Sometime noobs are sooooo noob.. they have yet to realize they must buy books and do serious study to take great images. Sometimes people incorrectly think because they have just bought a great DSLR that it will take great images on their behalf.

I thought this..... I got into photography because of the birth of my son and general disappointment with my point and shoot. I've never posted pictures out of the box like the above link.... but I did have a certain expectation of my new camera's image quality and was surprised to find out the great cameras don't take great images... great photographers take great images...

I've been having a problem lately of people annoyed by the attached thread. It is not incumbent upon anyone here to respond. The people who choose to help will help. The people who choose to move on will move on.

Just food for thought..