Just a quick question...

christianaaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, I recently started photography [mainly because I just got a camera; I like to think I know the basics :sexywink:] Anyway, I have this "problem" with editing my pictures. When is it okay to edit a picture and when should you leave it alone?

I personally prefer to leave the pictures as it is. It is a personal choice. I find editing makes it artificial.:D
If you are not happy with the photo taken then take another. This is the way one can learn (I presume that it is the objective). Thanks to digital...
Though I see on www.dpchallenge.com, almost everyone does basic editing like satuaration, hue etc.

editing is all part of photography, it's been done since it was invented in the 19th century.

I wouldn't say that I edit any/many pictures.
I call it processing.
Levels/Curves adjustment. (setting white/black point)
Contrast/Brightness.
Sharpen.
Convert to B&W.
And occasionally adjust the colours slightly.

But I have no problem with people heavily modifying/editing pictures either.

I have a darkroom and i use my contrast filters all the time, sometimes in double exposures and the like, with dodging, burning, and cropping (All post-processing). That is after the shot processing as well and is a must--you have to find a correct contrast and exposure time because you are changing a negative into a positive print.

In digital it is really the same thing, adjust those basic factors to make the image what you wanted it.

However, this is also post-processing: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90818 just taken further. The end result is always the same to make the best picture out of the original data.

It depends on what you want as a finished product. If you want the photo to look 'enhanced' then rock on. Otherwise, go until you can just tell and then back it off a bit.

Most reactions

Back