Just a quick question...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by christianaaa, Aug 18, 2007.

1. christianaaa

christianaaa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, I recently started photography [mainly because I just got a camera; I like to think I know the basics :sexywink:] Anyway, I have this "problem" with editing my pictures. When is it okay to edit a picture and when should you leave it alone?

2. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally prefer to leave the pictures as it is. It is a personal choice. I find editing makes it artificial.:D
    If you are not happy with the photo taken then take another. This is the way one can learn (I presume that it is the objective). Thanks to digital...
    Though I see on www.dpchallenge.com, almost everyone does basic editing like satuaration, hue etc.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    editing is all part of photography, it's been done since it was invented in the 19th century.

4. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't say that I edit any/many pictures.
    I call it processing.
    Levels/Curves adjustment. (setting white/black point)
    Contrast/Brightness.
    Sharpen.
    Convert to B&W.
    And occasionally adjust the colours slightly.

But I have no problem with people heavily modifying/editing pictures either.

5. am_photoer

am_photoer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a darkroom and i use my contrast filters all the time, sometimes in double exposures and the like, with dodging, burning, and cropping (All post-processing). That is after the shot processing as well and is a must--you have to find a correct contrast and exposure time because you are changing a negative into a positive print.

In digital it is really the same thing, adjust those basic factors to make the image what you wanted it.

However, this is also post-processing: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90818 just taken further. The end result is always the same to make the best picture out of the original data.

6. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    It depends on what you want as a finished product. If you want the photo to look 'enhanced' then rock on. Otherwise, go until you can just tell and then back it off a bit.