Just a thought...Not sure if this is the place for this...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Southerngal, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Im not sure if this is the place for this or not, so her goes it.......I have noticed through reading many threads that many people often give there opinion/critique whether they are new to photography or been doing it for years. I usually look at the work of those that give an opinion/critique....always curious of their work. I have noticed that their work is either really good and that they most likely know what they are talking about, that their work is on "about" the same level of the work that they are criticizing, or their work is awful and they have no room to offer up an opinion....much less advice.

That said, I generally try not to say too much about someones work, especially if I dont care for it. I love photography and have always taken pics, but I have no technical training. I have just been reading my butt off and asking many questions. I dont feel comfortable pointing out some of the problems I find in works of others when my work is far from perfect.....Is this just me?

Im not trying to gripe....I just dont like stepping on the toes of other photographers whose work has helped me learn so much.

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If someone's photos (in your opinion) are awful, then their opinion is invalid?

3. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very diplomatic attitude.

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I think you mean 'of no value'.
    Validity and value mean different things and are often confused - particularly in photographic discussions ;)

Sorry. Just in the mood for some light pedantry :lol:

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't draw worth a lick...but I could certainly offer up an opinion about a drawing. I think the same holds true for photography or any art. An opinion is just that...an opinion. :er:

The advantage of a community like this, is that there usually are some people who have plenty of experience and or technical knowledge...and they can help people to understand what is going on with their image. But even the most knowledgeable person will have a personal opinion...that is just as valid (or valuable?) as a person with little experience.

It comes down to what the person (posting the photo) is asking. If they are just posting a photo and saying 'look at this'...then it's hard to offer anything more than an opinion...because we have no idea if they accomplished what they set out to do. We can offer up an opinion...but that may be useless for the learning process of the poster.

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll take as many opinions as I can get. Good or bad.

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It doesn't matter how good or bad someone is. You can't please everyone. I don't critique works that I am not interested in. Just works that I like but see little problems, or problems to me anyway.

Classic example is the harsh lighting and blown highlights. In my experience it doesn't matter how nice a high key shot is someone will point them out.

Even if you don't like someone's work, they offer a different set of eyes and different thoughts about the photo. I have often found myself so engrossed in one area in a photograph that I have completely missed something else. Regardless of what I think of another person if they offer their critique I will examine the facts they present with no regard to who they are or the work I do, and then neutrally pass my own judgement as to if they are "right" or "wrong".

8. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just because they give their advice does not mean you have to take it.

For me, I listen to all point and try to understand their point of view. If I disagree then I move onto the next persons advice.

You don't have to be married to offer great marriage advice and you dont have to be a professional photographer to offer great advice or opinions on photographs.

9. I just posted elswhere that I am frustrated by the lack of creative interaction with the people in my life - they see my images, but they have no comment. Whatsoever.

As such I seek that kind of conversation here. ANY comments or critique is better than none. Anyone's point is valid, because it gets you thinking about your own photography. Don't give lighting advice if you don't know how to light a scene, but feel free to comment creatively. Look, a forum like this isn't only about learning from other people's comments, it's also learning HOW TO comment. Yes, some people lack manners, and some comments lose nuance when written instead of spoken and accompanied by gestures and facial expressions... but you can still comment. And some of us need to grow a slightly thicker skin.

Check out Vazaar, we do a lot of C&C work there.

10. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No truer words were ever spoken !

I fall into this pit every so often.

11. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess its just me...I dont mind C&C and I have learned so much from it, but I truly can't stand it when someone comments on the quality of my image....maybe that it is blown out or blurry for example....and then I view his/her images and they are terrible. I take the comment/advice and leave it. I was only wondering if this bothered others. I will definitely feel free to leave more comments now. I usually steer clear b/c I dont feel that I have any room to speak up ;)

12. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :thumbup: