Just a Thought - Weddings Geeze .. Everyone can be a photographer

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by wiredhernandez, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiredhernandez

wiredhernandez TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The absolute amateure that I am ... I have a decent cam and some OK lenses . I have been making a real effort to learn the ropes and take pictures beyond full auto and P mode.. A guy with a "costly to me" cam who loves to take pictures..

What I dont get is why there are so many people who likely know EVEN LESS that I do posting about wanting to be wedding photographers... I goto weddings and have taken some good pics (recently and in my own opinion) but that takes SOME ... skill .. education ... experience.. equipment... GOOD Photography is hard... (maybe its just me)

I dont wanna rant or start a flame type thread but .... I think this is huge and I dont get it .. Every day someone comes on and posts .." I am getting into photograph .. want to do weddings ... what do I need to buy..) It is silly ...

Just my thoughts guys.. Thanks for tolerating and replies to MY questions as they come... Great site ..

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Just because I know nothing about nuclear physics doesn't preclude me from wanting to build an atom bomb...

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Some people want to make a living out of having sex too.

Sure you can find takers but just because you are getting paid doesn't mean that you are any good at it and if you are not it just means that you have no scruples.

You wind up screwing your customers either way. ;)

4. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Wow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  5. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think people think its easy and see the price tags that go with it and want to make an easy buck.

Fortunately, I joined TPF the day after getting my DSLR, so it was beaten into me from day one that it was (1) not easy, (2) a lot of work, and (3) costly to build the equipment and backups, so I avoided weddings like the plague.

I am just now doing tag-alongs, then I will move to second shooter, and then primary after I feel I have mastered each. I found that I do have an interest in it, but I'm not sure that it will develop into an every weekend thing.

I do have a social life to maintain after all ;)

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well I want to be a wildlife photographer (ok videographer) so asking what gear to get now is a good way to ensure that later on I am not having to sell 50mm, 85mm and 135mm lenses which whilst very good, are just not going to be the best for what I want to achive. Everyone has to start somewhere - might as well start with the best and most applicable kit you can afford and work from there. It is far better also to have gear that you have to grow into rather than gear that you quickly grow out of.

However I think that its not those who wish to start and take their time, but rather those who post along the lines of
    "got a wedding in a month - what do I do"
    and for them there are many answers and reasons from those who really do have a very overinflated ego to those who just want to shoot a friends/family members wedding because they haven't a penny to pay for it. Of course being photographers we always encourage people to pay for proper results if they can, just as the caterers do, the dressmakers, the flower arrangers etc...
    Fact is some people can't afford it and a few average shots are far better than non at all.

As for those who want to start working in this area with little experience and poor gear - well again there are many ways to advise beyond the "your not ready GTFO". Some people to try to rush things or take short cuts - advise as you can and then move on. I also often find it a little funny that those who do the biggest whining about other photographers doing weddings are not the pro wedding photographers, but rather middlerange people not quite beginners and not quite pro.

7. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ultimately people get what they pay for. So long as people think that, because they have limited funds, they can get away with paying $200 for a full set of wedding photos so that they don't have to scrimp elsewhere, there will be someone willing to provide that service. If they get screwed, its important for them to know that everyone was telling them otherwise.

Wildlife photography? You can buy the equipment and get lucky in a zoo. Macro photography? Take your time until you get it right. Sports photography? Just buy a bigger lens and get a camera with a higher frame rate. Wedding photography? Sorry, you can't just throw time and money at it. Wedding photography requires experience and skill because there are no redo's - you get it right the first time or you die by bride's fire. People who wish to take shortcuts see the results in the final product.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In reality the people who think they can do weddings with no real experience and no prior effort are the ones who will quickly drop out of the industry. Sure they may steal a few gigs before it happens, but they are the ones who will then deal with the crying bride, the pissed mother, and potential lawsuits from angry customers (heck this even happens with good photographers).

If they just deal with it, fine, they are arseholes, and would probably be the same regardless which industry they are in. Be happy that you like your fun job and they need to deal with crap all day.

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The retail market in general is getting a bashing these days. The effects of which are only now beginning to be seen. The answer is a question for a smarter man then me. Live and let live. I try and focus on the positive.

Love & Bass

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow.

You demonstrate intolerance and impatience in those who may know less than you, then in the very next sentence you turn around and acknowledge that those who know more than you have been tolerant and patient with your questions.

Grow up a bit, mate.

Jon

11. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No, I think he has a point. Just because the cost of entry has been so drastically lowered in the age of digital photography, that doesn't mean that the level of talent required has changed.

Just about any geek can now afford to buy a DSLR kit that they'll use once a month to show off to their geek buddies. Most anyone else doesn't know the difference between a D40 and D3, all they know is that you've got "one of those mega-cameras with the circle thing on the front" and that, somehow, it magically takes amazing photos all by itself.

I'm not saying that we need regulations to determine who gets to be a professional wedding photographer (or portrait photographer, or event photographer, etc.). Please, no, regulations just ruin everything. It is your own responsibility to represent yourself accordingly and not masquerade as professional just because you have a shiny new D40 kit that results in slightly less crappy photos in full-auto than your old point and shoot.

(Full disclosure: I'm a geek, too, but I'm one of those rare artistic ones ;))

12. LokiZ

LokiZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Let's not forget that it's not all about the product. And that goes for any business venture. Just because you are awesome at oh... let's say photography. That doesn't necessarily mean you have the business sense that God gave the hind end of a mule.

If you don't know how to present yourself and think you are owed since "your awesome" you might want to re-think that one. If you can't sell your product you can bet the person standing behind you in line is ready and willing whether they are better or worse.

It's a sad part of free enterprise but on the other hand it's also what gives everyone their chance to shine.

It's sad that some customers have to learn the hard way though. I do weddings video for friends and family. I save them loads of cash, They like what I offer, but I don't really enjoy it, I have higher standards then them I guess and so I am never really happy with what I present them with. Maybe if I had two more DCR-VX2100's i might be a little closer to my goals LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.