Just Bought a D70

CubsFanMike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I've been looking around for a good used DSLR and finally decided on going with a Nikon. I found what I thought was a great deal on ebay for a used D70 with a kit lens for $340 with around 5k clicks. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120325082074

I'm a little nervous about what he called "dust" on the sensor but was going to try to get that cleaned at a local shop when I get it. Let me know what you guys think.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dust is normal. I love my D70s. Sure I'd like to have the D90, but for the money it's an awesome camera, easy to handle, easy to change settings, superb pictures. That lens alone you could re-sell for a couple hundred probably......maybe a hair less which means you're getting the body for about 150-170....good price.

Uh, well the auction ended.

Dust is normal on sensors and can be cleaned by either yourself or a pro shop.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

You can get a D40 with a kit lens for not too much, but it if you want to spend some more, you can get a D60.

You'll get varying opinions all day long, but I'd take a D70(s) or D50 over the D40/D60 any day of the week.

I read a LOT of threads on here comparing the D40, D40x, D60, D50, etc etc..

I bought the kit on a whim so that's why the ebay auction is over, but I'm really excited to get it. Thanks for the comments about the dust though it's reassuring to hear that it's a normal thing!!!

The amount of dust on your sensor will vary between person to person, but it depends on how much you take off your lens and switch it for a different one.

Currently I'm not going to really be switching the lens that much since I only have the kit lens, but in the future I definitely want to get a decent telephoto lens. I've been looking into Sigma lenses and from what I've read the AF works with the D70. Any other suggestions for a decent telephoto lens that won't make me broke?

Hey CubsFanMike -

Congrats on your new camera!

The D70 is a great dSLR to start with (i have a colleague who loves his). I'll briefly mention that the best investment, next to time spent taking pictures, is to buy the absolute best lens for your primary use - even the one you simply cannot afford!

Simply save your pennies and when you start taking photos with that lovely "pro" lens you will never regret it! With lenes, the Image Quality improvement is usually much better than upgrading to a new camera body and lenses rarely wear out.

Enjoy your new cam!

The D70s is the one to get if you are looking. It sync at near any speed, but has a native 1/500th sync speed... something rare amongst any dSLR out there today. If you are into off camera flash (strobism), this camera lets you do things most others cannot quite do.

Thanks for the imput guys! JerryPH I'm relatively new to photography and haven't experienced a lot with off camera flash since most of the pictures I take are outdoors. Would a flash or telephoto lens be a better investment considering this?

Currently I'm not going to really be switching the lens that much since I only have the kit lens, but in the future I definitely want to get a decent telephoto lens. I've been looking into Sigma lenses and from what I've read the AF works with the D70. Any other suggestions for a decent telephoto lens that won't make me broke?

Any Af lens will work with the d70! Sigma makes some nice lenses, but they are known for quality control issues--no big deal as long as you keep your warranty card handy.

The sigma 20-60mm f2.8 lens is extremely inexpensive for what it is--you can't find a comparable lens by any other brand for less then TWICE as much $$.

Congrats on the camera.

I would suggest to use the lens you have for a while before "investing" in another. Lenses are expensive if you want to have better images. Plenty of us on here will/have spent 5x what you paid for your first kit on a single lens. I could be driving a much nicer car for what I have "invested" in lenses. Once you go Gold Ring, there's no turning back. :biggrin:

Welcome to the addiction. Our support meetings are held each Wednesday from 7:00 - 9:00. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back