Just bought an 80D. Should I sell it for the 6D Mkii?

jakechris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As the title states, I just picked up a new 80D about a week or so ago from eBay for 950. I also picked up an Canon 85mm 1.8 and 430 flash which are still within the return time frame. Should I abandon the aps-c set I was about to buy (was also going to buy the Sigma 18-35 ART and Tokina 11-16) in favor of the new full frame 6D Mkii?

As the title states, I just picked up a new 80D about a week or so ago from eBay for 950. I also picked up an Canon 85mm 1.8 and 430 flash which are still within the return time frame. Should I abandon the aps-c set I was about to buy (was also going to buy the Sigma 18-35 ART and Tokina 11-16) in favor of the new full frame 6D Mkii?

sure, you could but why buy a new camera every week. I'd say stick with one (at least for several weeks)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

It's really up to you. Have you ever owned or shot a FF Canon?? The image quality is very,very impressive, and there's a "look" to their 85/1.8 EF lens that's very compelling when it is used on FF, at the normal, fairly close-in ranges.

Let's put it this way...for people work... if you want to shoot a man and woman,and create a standing, full-length portait shot; on the 80D with the 85mm lens, you'll need to stand 35 feet away from them; with a full-frame camera, the same picture height and width results with the camera at only 20 feet distant.

This is a big issue at times. Consider that at 35 feet, the DOF behind the subject, which is relatively "far"from the film plane, is much greater,and things are more-recognizable than when the camera is at 20 feet...indoors, the full-length standing shot is almost impossible to do on a 1.6x crop-body camra with an 85mm lens in many locations...with a FF camera, all you need is 20 feet.

These are actual, real distances. This is why so many people prefer FX for people work, at normal,expected distances, in normal, real-life rooms, churches, and studios.

I personally think that many people WANT the smaller sensored, APS-C Canon bodies, for the narrower field of view with longer lenses and for distant subjects...but once again, there are those who really would prefer ther way a 5D or 6D series Canon body would render their lenses. Deciding what camera format depends, to a high degree, on the anticipated OPTIMUM camera format for the majority of your uses.

The choice of the 80D versus the 6D-Mark II, or versus a 5D-Mark III--kind of depends on exactly what uses you anticipate for the camera. I have not seen the 6D-2's images yet, but it has an FF, 26-megapixel sensor; sounds like a SWEET compromise image size. Personally...I decided on my second 24-MP Nikon last week, instead of a 36-MP Nikon...I LIKE that 24-26-MP on FF size of file...big, yet not too big for my 4-TB hard disk backups and so on. Sony's 42-MP and Canon's 50-MP sized images seem kind of big for me and my usages.

Haven't shot on a FF, but I know that the main types of photography I'll be doing are portraits/weddings and from everything I've seen, FF is the way to go for that style. I'd rather just do it now than upgrade later, which is what most seem to do at some point.

I'm sure while deciding the 80d budget was a consideration. If you sell the 80d it's approx the same money again to get a 6d, so that's double your budget on camera.

A good wide angle to match the 11-16 is bigger and more expensive than the tokina.

A lens to match the sigma is more expensive.

You'd be spending all this without even knowing how good or bad the 80d performs, and while it's likely great, no one knows how good a 6d2 is yet.

Fullframe cameras are great, but not everyone needs one, especially starting out

EDIT- didn't see you were doing weddings, that changes things a bit

Last edited:
Haven't shot on a FF, but I know that the main types of photography I'll be doing are portraits/weddings and from everything I've seen, FF is the way to go for that style. I'd rather just do it now than upgrade later, which is what most seem to do at some point.

Well, then do it now, and start building your lens inventory. Almost all of Canon's best optics are designed to be used on a 24 x 36mm capture area. 35,50,85,100,135mm and their 24-70mm,70-200, and 16-35: ALL these are optimal on a full-frame Canon.

I'm keeping my 80d period.. until I can afford to upgrade and by upgrade I won't sell the 80d I'll use it as a secondary cam and keep it for nice 1080p video.. I want this cam to make me money then I'll buy glass and a nicer body

I'm keeping my 80d period.. until I can afford to upgrade and by upgrade I won't sell the 80d I'll use it as a secondary cam and keep it for nice 1080p video.. I want this cam to make me money then I'll buy glass and a nicer body
The nice thing about the 6D Mk2 is that it's basically an 80D, but full frame, so while the pictures I take will be improved by full frame capabilities, it still does everything the 80D does for my YouTube videos.

The nice thing about the 6D Mk2 is that it's basically an 80D, but full frame, so while the pictures I take will be improved by full frame capabilities, it still does everything the 80D does for my YouTube videos.

OK, a full frame 80D - sounds good
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

If you know your going to do portraits, weddings, groups, etc. YES. Get a FF camera now. You will always have it in the back of your mind if you don't. Especially after your return period ends!

That's cool. If the extra money is worth spending than sure, but this new camera should have 4K and 2 card slots to justify having it at all.

It's nice you want to go the extra mile for your wedding clients by going full frame but I bet you'd still produce great images with an 80d and use the left over money for better glass. But it's up to you.

That's cool. If the extra money is worth spending than sure, but this new camera should have 4K and 2 card slots to justify having it at all.

It's nice you want to go the extra mile for your wedding clients by going full frame but I bet you'd still produce great images with an 80d and use the left over money for better glass. But it's up to you.

The biggest advantage of a FF camera is low light capabilities, from a sensor that is not crammed tight with pixels. It's night and day performance wise between FF and crop cameras in ISO performance! Also between the 80d and the 6d, the 6d has much wider dynamic range performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back