Just Bought T2i. Photography/Video Newb. Need SD, and Lense! Please Help!

SAPierce2006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I just bought a Canon T2i for it's filming capabilities, and I'm not sure what I should buy in the realm of Lenses or SD Cards. I figure since I have the video capabilities I want to try my hand at taking decent pictures also, so please help me choose in regards to that information.

1. SD Card
The manual requires a class 6 card. Is there any point in getting a faster card? I've decided on a 16GB card I think, but I've been reading, and apperently, some people have had problems with their card losing the data or the data not being their after filming because they got an off brand card. I can't deal with that. I NEED a dependable card, so what should I buy in terms of that, and where should I buy it from?

2. Lenses - at this point i'm starting to run out of $$, so money is a concern (I also don't like to waste it on things I don't need. I currently have the 18-55 lens that came with the camera, but would like something better. I'm also open to other ideas if you have recommendations. I don't mind buying used lenses either. I'd like to spend ~$100-150 for lens a, and 150-200 for lens b.
I want 2 lenses:
a. I want a "fast" (I think) lens for photography. I was recommended that I get a prime f1.8 lens, as I could get it pretty cheap, and get some good shots with it, but what mm should I get and why? I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for at this point. General purpose I guess at the moment.

b. I want a lens that I can have some zoom with for video, and some farther away pictures. I'm not really sure how much zoom I need, but I'd like about as much zoom as is on most camcorders I suppose. It'd also be nice if I could use it for photography if need be. I don't know about any of the features that are on these things, and I don't know what's needed.

EDIT: Also, do I need to be concerned about a UV Filter? I've seen a lot of talk on these, and don't really know if I need one. I'm a complete photo newb, so please recommend anything you think I should need, or would be useful.

I look forward to seeing what you guys recommend! Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
most sandisk or lexar 8-16GB will be fine.

if it's sandisk, at least go with the ultras, they're cheap but good.

for lenses, personally i'd stick with the primes, because they're generally cheap, sharp, and fast. The 28 1.8, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 would be good ones to go with without droppin some serious dough.

most sandisk or lexar 8-16GB will be fine.

if it's sandisk, at least go with the ultras, they're cheap but good.

for lenses, personally i'd stick with the primes, because they're generally cheap, sharp, and fast. The 28 1.8, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 would be good ones to go with without droppin some serious dough.

The sandisk ultras are all class 4 it looks like. For the HD video on my camera I need a class 6.

I'd like 1 prime, and 1 zoom. I definitely need something with zoom though.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding (it wouldn't be the first time), but if you got the T2i for it's video capabilities... why not just get a video camera? I've seen this trend lately of people who are buying the T2i with the video in mind first and the photo aspect as an "ah well... since I have it, I guess I'll learn how to use it" kind of thing, haha.

I love making videos, and had an HV30, but I sold the HV30 about a month ago when I found out about the T2i for a few reasons. 1. I wouldn't have to deal with Mini DV's. 2. I could use different lenses. 3. I could take high quality pictures also, which is something I've wanted to do now for a few years, came close to buying a camera like the T1i or something, but at the time I had to make a choice between a good film camera or a good picture camera, and rather than compromise in one area, I just decided to go for god video. Now it seems I don't have to compromise as much, and conveniently enough it's all in one package.

The sandisk ultras are all class 4 it looks like. For the HD video on my camera I need a class 6.

Class 4 is only required to support 4MB/s. Class 6 is 6 MB/s.

Ultras are rated class 4, but typically perform better than most other brands' class 6. For example, in a Nikon D90, an Ultra 2 will reach nearly 9MB/s (Rob Galbraith DPI: Nikon D90). Haven't seen any data specific to the t2i.

Of course, a class 6 (Extreme) will do even better...

I went ahead and bought a Sandisk Extreme III 16GB class 10. The class 6's were like 10-15 bucks cheaper than the 10's and it just didn't seem worth it not to by a 10 for $85 off amazon.

Now I just need to figure out my lenses.

Haven't seen any data specific to the t2i.

The manual calls for a class 6 if one expects to use the video function successfully :)

I was referring to actual measurement data. The class rating is only a rough guide to simplify marketing.

I went ahead and bought a Sandisk Extreme III 16GB class 10. The class 6's were like 10-15 bucks cheaper than the 10's and it just didn't seem worth it not to by a 10 for $85 off amazon.

Now I just need to figure out my lenses.
Read this link about video licensing:
Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA

The image sensor in your camera already has a UV filter in front of it.

Some people think that putting a UV on the front of a lens, 'protects' it somehow.

UV filters add an air gap and a layer of thin easily broken glass. The air gap contributes to unwanted internal reflections, known as lens flair, when the lens is pointed near bright light sources. Cheap UV filters usually degrade image quality (loss of contrast, soften focus), and the expensive ones don't. The expensive ones don't improve image quality either. They just don't hurt it.

There is the exception that a good UV filter can improve image quality if you are at or above 3000 meters (10,000 feet).

Using a lens hood: improves image contrast, minimizes lens flare, and provides a safety buffer zone for the front of a lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back