Just cant figure it out

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by logansmom91305, Apr 12, 2007.

1. logansmom91305

logansmom91305 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all and im new to the forum my name is Danielle. Im curious if your using a digital camera what can you do or whats the best way to take night photos?

2. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    tripod, night mode (if thats available) long exposures, without a little more info such as your equipment and stuff like that, thats about all i can tell you..

3. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do not use flash :)

4. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Danielle, for night shots I set the camera up on a tripod. I change my shooting mode from single to a 2 second self timer that locks the mirror up (using a DSLR). Then depending on whether or not I am shooting in bulb I use a remote to open the shutter and lock it until I am done, or if it is something that can be taken within 30 seconds (my cameras longest exposure without Bulb) I just press the shutter release. Once I press the release, the mirror locks up (this prevents any vibration from the mirror flipping up) and the count down starts. 2 seconds later the shutter opens and the picture starts to be taken.

I always use the lowest ISO possible because the longer the exposure the more noise you will get, regardless of ISO, so I always start with as little as possible.

On a point and shoot you will do pretty much the same. Self timer on a tripod for the amount of time you need to expose the shot. The self timer is useful because your hand isn't touching the camera when the picture is taken, and since you aren't pressing on the shutter release you aren't moving the camera at all.

EDIT: I just looked up your camera, you're in luck because you can take up to 15 second exposures and you have a 2 second self timer. So, manually set your ISO to 80 (your lowest), and put the camera on a tripod. using the self timer take the picture for up to 15 seconds, with the aperture at f/2.8 and you should get some decent results.