Just changed from Canon to Pentax

Pentax make briliant cameras and from what I heard good lenses but it potentially have one big flaw........but its a personal thing!
Pentax has no FF cameras so buying into Pentax means getting stuck with crop sensor camera, if you are ok with it and dont see yourself ever wanting to go FF then you got yourself a nice camera.
For me it never made sense because I always saw myself at the long run goign to FF (which I did).

Good luck and enjoy your new camera! :)

To be fair.... they do have the Pentax 645D ... a digital medium format body (6cm x 4.5cm sensor) and Nikon and Canon don't offer anything in the medium format market. Of course, none of the standard DSLR lenses will work on a medium format body... but if you really wanted a larger sensor size, they have a camera that offers it.

Pentax make briliant cameras and from what I heard good lenses but it potentially have one big flaw........but its a personal thing!
Pentax has no FF cameras so buying into Pentax means getting stuck with crop sensor camera, if you are ok with it and dont see yourself ever wanting to go FF then you got yourself a nice camera.
For me it never made sense because I always saw myself at the long run goign to FF (which I did).

Good luck and enjoy your new camera! :)

To be fair.... they do have the Pentax 645D ... a digital medium format body (6cm x 4.5cm sensor) and Nikon and Canon don't offer anything in the medium format market. Of course, none of the standard DSLR lenses will work on a medium format body... but if you really wanted a larger sensor size, they have a camera that offers it.
Yeah I know, the 645D is a dream!!!
But sadly even if I could afford one I wouldn't get it, just cant see myself walking around with such a beast and huge lenses, even for me this would be too much :(
Shame, nice dream but completely not practical for me even just for fantasy sake.

I've read a little about that (and noticed references to the GPS module in the menus). Apparently (should you so wish) the sensor can shift enough to get night sky exposures of up to 5 minutes with static stars (no trails). That's very impressive, although I doubt I'll ever take advantage of it.

If that is true, it could negate getting fast/expensive glass. Would have to check up on that, as I would like to get into some astro photography in the near future.

The GPS is an extra module added to the hot shoe.
I can certainly produce some very impressive shots, from what I've seen. But the 5 minutes would only be with VERY wide lenses. The amount of sensor movement needed is dependent on the focal length.

Fortunately the GPS is not compatible with my K7, so I'm not tempted to but another expensive toy in the vain hopes of some clear skies...

Nothing wrong with Pentax, sounds like you found the tools that best meet your needs.

Most reactions

Back