Just Curious

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When would a 600mm f/4.0 L IS USM Super Telephoto Lens really be necessary?

How far away can someone be with this and still have a great shot. My question tied to this is the distance from your target you can be with telephoto lens and still have a decent shot.

in regards to zoom distance. I've read several articles, etc and I can't seem to find comfortable zoom distance. What's the maximum zoom distance I could be from something to get a sharp image wth this. Could I be on top of statue of liberty and see the dandruff on someone's head with this lens?

I've taken pretty nice shots from around 100 feet away with my current lens just curious is there's a measurement of how far away one could be.

I'm not planning on getting this 9k lens anytime soon. Just curious.

in regards to zoom distance. I've read several articles, etc and I can't seem to find comfortable zoom distance. What's the maximum zoom distance I could be from something to get a sharp image wth this. Could I be on top of statue of liberty and see the dandruff on someone's head with this lens?

I've taken pretty nice shots from around 100 feet away with my current lens just curious is there's a measurement of how far away one could be.

I'm not planning on getting this 9k lens anytime soon. Just curious.

No, I doubt you'll be getting dandruff from there...:lmao:

I myself and looking for a 600mm tele for wildlife and sports so......

I'm assuming that in sports or wildlife you really wouldn't tap the lens full potential than unless you are big foot photographer?

I understand these are wierd questions I'm really just curious exactly why someone would go with a 600mm lens. Would it only be for distance shots or very high res closeup shots.

I'm assuming that in sports or wildlife you really wouldn't tap the lens full potential than unless you are big foot photographer?

Foot ball? Baseball? Soccer? Sports where you often have 50+ yards between you and your subject. Ever read magazines and see pictures of lions, tigers, and bears? You don't want to be taking pictures of those with a 300mm lens.

Plus you can put a 2x TC on it and have a 1200mm lens.

I understand. I'm trying to figure out how far from the lion I can be though to get a clear shot. I"m using the following website in efforts to understand exactly.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

If I'm 1000 meters away I have a required focal length of 39 feet. Minimal focal length of the 600 mm is 18 feet. Guess I'm more worried about the math.

I ask the wierdest questions sorry. I keep asking "max potential" questions

A 600mm lens is very useful for taking photos of "garden wildlife", e.g. small birds, and general photos where you can't get within 25cm of the subject.

I once tried to take a shot of a robin from less than 2m away with a 200mm lens, and I still had to crop it to within an inch of its life. Luckily, it still printed out well, but it could have gone horribly wrong.

Tamiyaguy
How far away could you have been from the Robin and still have gotten a great shot? Lets say you're taking pictures of a bee on a flower now and all of the sudden you see a hawk fly by and land on a tree that is an unknown distance(pretty far). How much of a closeup could you get?

Tamiyaguy
How far away could you have been from the Robin and still have gotten a great shot? Lets say you're taking pictures of a bee on a flower now and all of the sudden you see a hawk fly by and land on a tree that is an unknown distance(pretty far). How much of a closeup could you get?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about my 200mm or the 600? If it's about the 200, then that was pretty much as close as I could have got, even though the lens focuses down to 1 metre. The robin was getting more and more aware of my presence, so I couldn't get any closer. Of course, if I used a 600mm, I could have got a perfect shot at 5m away (barring shutter speed).

As for the bee/hawk thing, the 200 could probably make the hawk fill, I dunno, 1/8 of the frame from 10-20m away, which is pretty big. It would still need some cropping to make it look good, though.

I think that's what you meant, but if it isn't, I'll try again :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back