Just curious

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Photochick, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Photochick

Photochick TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am just curious. Are there any full time, professional, studio owners out there that still shoot 100% medium format film? I still do, and was just wondering if I am all alone out there! :confused:

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm pretty sure you're not alone, but your numbers are shrinking!

3. CSR Studio

CSR Studio TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot three formats depending on the job. 35, 6x6 and 4x5. Do you shoot products? On medium format? All my weddings and portraits are medium format.

4. Photochick

Photochick TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a portrait studio and I shoot alot of weddings. I don't do much commercial work. I shoot everything medium format. I use either the Hasselblad or a Mamiya 645AF. I do not own a digital camera. I have everything scanned at high res at the time of processing. All finished prints are from those scans.

So, another question. I have had other professionals tell me that there is a huge difference in quality between negs scanned at high res and images shot digitally. I myself cannot see a huge difference. They are telling me that you cannot get a decent quality from scans. I can see if maybe you were going with a 30x40 size print but, unfortunately, I don't sell many prints larger than a 20x24. And if I did sell a 30x40, I would just print it from the neg. I have my pro lab do all of the processing and scanning and I think everything looks great. So, I guess I would like others thoughts on this.

5. Randall Ellis

Randall Ellis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know some on another forum, APUG, do... Here's a link to one who's work I've seen personally.

- Randy

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not a full time photographer, but all my pro work (in the last 5 years) has been digital. I did just acquire a Mamiya RB67 Pro, and I might try to incorporate it into my arsenal.

When I did switch from shooting 35mm film to digital, I did notice that the files were quite a bit cleaner. The quality was still there with files from scanned negs, but I think that cleaner is the best work to describe the difference.

7. jbylake

jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Big Mike, I think I understand what you are saying about digital being "cleaner", but am not sure. I have 3 35mm cameras, and 1 digital. I shoot almost exclusively in 35mm, and then mostly in b&w. I use my scanner, and convert slides to digital. I don't really see one being "cleaner" than the other, however, it could be that I'm not sure what you're saying. Could you elaborate? I could use the education.

Thanks

J.:mrgreen:

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe it's because I wasn't using a high end 'pro' lab at the time, (or my own dedicated scanner), but it just felt like there was a lot of 'cleaning up' that I had to do on the digital files from my 35mm images. Maybe it's not something that had to be done...but either way, I ended spending a lot of time with the healing brush/clone stamp in Photoshop. Maybe I was just pixel peeping details that wouldn't be noticed on most prints...but there was no doubt in my mind that the digital camera's images were cleaner.

Of course, there were things that I liked about film, like the wider latitude.
    But once I went digital, there was no turning back. Not only did I like the files more...I also liked the workflow a lot more. Granted, there is usually more work involved when you are solely responsible for the entire workflow...but over the years, I'm managed to find what works for me (Lightroom is awesome ;))

9. jbylake

jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Cool, and thanks for the info...yeah, you still have the work flow with film, but for folks like me, who like the "hands on" approach, film is just plain fun to do. Like I said, no dark room anymore, just develop the film into neg's and then scan. Not like the "good ole' days", of developing, enlarging etc..I can totally see the advantages to digital (even though this is not a film vs. digital conversation)...but again I'm not a Pro, never will be..I like working with film. I'm going to do some film vs. digital comparisons though, again, to see if the files compare, or how they compare with each other. "clean vs. dirty".

Anyway, I apprecieate any and all education that I can use from more experienced photographers, and appreciate your response.

Thanks,
    J.:mrgreen:

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can see the 'hands on' appeal when you're developing your own film...but to me, dropping your film at the lab, is sort of a 'hands off' method. With an all digital workflow, the image never leaves your hands...or at least, it doesn't have to.

Sorry, I don't mean for this to be a film vs digital discussion.

11. Photochick

Photochick TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Randall- Thank you for letting me know about APUG forum! I did not even know there was a forum out there for film users. Thank you so much!:D

12. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, and Nicole and many others share their knowledge freely on APUG. Just as all the fine folks do here at TPF as well.