just curious

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i was diagnosed with color blindness as a child and confirmed it recently. how many of you are color blind?

I am colorblind too. I've known pretty much my whole life.

On a side note: For those of us who don't know what colorblindness looks like, go to www.vischeck.com and click on the examples tab. There you will find different levels of colorblindness and what it looks like to the person who has it.

You can find a colorblind test anywhere on the web. Just type "colorblind test" in the search field of google and check out for yourself.

now this is a fine example of teamwork. one throws out a topic and the other provides all research info. ;)

ferny said:
Apparently I'm "normal".

me too... I have no problems with distinguishing Amanda's RED reputation points ... so I'm definitely not red-blind :)

JonMikal said:
now this is a fine example of teamwork. one throws out a topic and the other provides all research info. ;)

True indeed. That and I wanted to squash the question we've been asked for all of our lives..."You're colorblind?...Does that mean you only see in black and white?" or "So, since you're colorblind, why do you own a color TV?" :lmao:

My smart alec answers for thost two are: "More like shades of grey." and "I've been looking for a good 32" black and white television...do you know where I can get one?"

hobbes28 said:
True indeed. That and I wanted to squash the question we've been asked for all of our lives..."You're colorblind?...Does that mean you only see in black and white?" or "So, since you're colorblind, why do you own a color TV?" :lmao:My smart alec answers for thost two are: "More like shades of grey." and "I've been looking for a good 32" black and white television...do you know where I can get one?"

:lmao:

mentos_007 said:
me too... I have no problems with distinguishing Amanda's RED reputation points ... so I'm definitely not red-blind :)

:lol: I'd say I'm normal too...although I have night blindness which sucks bad. Can't see to drive a car down the road at night :confused: Let alone find my way around the darkroom at school :lol:

Night blindness is usually called Nyctanopia.
It can just be genetic but it can also be due to Vitamin A defficiency.
If you have not had it checked out I would see a Doctor or an Opthalmologist and get it looked at immediately. Sometimes the problem can be cured, but it can also be an indication of serious illness.

Colour 'blindness' is more correctly called 'colour deficiency'.
Confusion tests (like the ones on the web pages) are only crude screening proceedures at best. The specific colours used are critical and so the tests will be even less accurate when seen on a monitor.
There are three basic kinds of colour deficiencies:
Red/Green
Blue/Yellow
Total
Red/Green is the commonest - and is far more common in males than females.
There are degrees of colour deficiency too, from just seeing colours slightly differently to not seeing them at all.
There are far more accurate tests available - the Anomaloscope is one - which can accurately measure colour vision. But you have to pay for them.
When I was working professionaly I used to have my eyes checked over once a year. I found that my left eye sees things about 1 unit more magenta than my right - which is b*gger all but I can still see it if I switch between them.
A close friend and fellow photographer suddenly discovered that he was red/green deficient after more than 25 years. He thought everyone saw trees in various shades of grey!
He was reconciled to it when he found that one of the ways he could cope with it and get help differentiating between the colours was to wear a red monocle.
It was still frightening at night when he drove, though. He used to have to guess what colour the traffic lights were :lol:

my dad's colorblind and from what i understand it seems to be more common in men then women...i also remember taking those colorblind tests at school with the circles of dots and numbers

mountainlander said:
Does anyone else find the irony in JonMikal being color blind??

You really do look at things differently from me!! :D

I was just going to submit a similar post. I can't understand it :scratch: My question is: how do I go about becoming color deficent ;)

I once convinced a friend in high school that I was colour blind, but only with blue and pink. And that I got them mixed up... so whenever I looked at the sky it was pink.

That was fun. Stupid dopey girl beleived me for a whole year, also convinced her me and another girl where related and that's why she has the same condition. hehehehe.
I'm evil.

i just read this jon, and i gotta ask what to me is obvious....

why has it taken you so long to like black and white...? it seems that it would be clearer and sharper to you...make more sense to your eyes...
ok, i will throw a thought at you...(scary wheni think too much...and i will warn you.. i am a huge conspiracy theroist...and, i think out side the box, and i mean way out side...)

i have always wondered if we all see the same colors.... how would you know that your green and my green are both the same color... if i actually see red..but was told that color is called green...then it would be called green but i would be seeing red...see what i mean??

and forever, i would think the color red is called green...but you see purple... and we just accept that the grass is green...but to me its red, but thats normal from birth...and you see purple, but its normal from birth..and we call it green....

ok...i better quit.... ya'll may not be ready for all this...i told ya...out there looking in...
(life is never boring with me....scary maybe, but not boring..)

I really feel bad for people that cannot see the world in the true glory as it should be. I know a few colorblind (one severe, one not so) people but they seem to get along just fine anyway. I assume it must be because they've never see anything different. My librarian, the one not so colorblind, is also a photographer. He is deficient enough that working with color is almost out of the question for him.

aprilraven - I think of that also, especially if it comes to an alien race. What would they see? Could it even be the visual spectrum! I figure if they're teaching us the colors in kindergarten than we must be all seeing the same. But it's gotta be rough to find out that you can't see some colors correctly -_-

Most reactions

Back