just curious

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JonMikal, Jun 25, 2005.

1. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

i was diagnosed with color blindness as a child and confirmed it recently. how many of you are color blind?

2. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I am colorblind too. I've known pretty much my whole life.

On a side note: For those of us who don't know what colorblindness looks like, go to www.vischeck.com and click on the examples tab. There you will find different levels of colorblindness and what it looks like to the person who has it.

You can find a colorblind test anywhere on the web. Just type "colorblind test" in the search field of google and check out for yourself.

3. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

now this is a fine example of teamwork. one throws out a topic and the other provides all research info. ;)

4. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Hmmm... I wonder if they've got it round the wrong way. I wonder if the non-colour blind people are colour blind. Perhaps we're the odd ones out...

http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/2D.html - tests

Apparently I'm "normal".

5. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    me too... I have no problems with distinguishing Amanda's RED reputation points ... so I'm definitely not red-blind :)

6. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

True indeed. That and I wanted to squash the question we've been asked for all of our lives..."You're colorblind?...Does that mean you only see in black and white?" or "So, since you're colorblind, why do you own a color TV?" :lmao:

My smart alec answers for thost two are: "More like shades of grey." and "I've been looking for a good 32" black and white television...do you know where I can get one?"

7. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

:lmao:

8. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

:lol: I'd say I'm normal too...although I have night blindness which sucks bad. Can't see to drive a car down the road at night :confused: Let alone find my way around the darkroom at school :lol:

9. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Night blindness is usually called Nyctanopia.
    It can just be genetic but it can also be due to Vitamin A defficiency.
    If you have not had it checked out I would see a Doctor or an Opthalmologist and get it looked at immediately. Sometimes the problem can be cured, but it can also be an indication of serious illness.

Colour 'blindness' is more correctly called 'colour deficiency'.
    Confusion tests (like the ones on the web pages) are only crude screening proceedures at best. The specific colours used are critical and so the tests will be even less accurate when seen on a monitor.
    There are three basic kinds of colour deficiencies:
    Red/Green
    Blue/Yellow
    Total
    Red/Green is the commonest - and is far more common in males than females.
    There are degrees of colour deficiency too, from just seeing colours slightly differently to not seeing them at all.
    There are far more accurate tests available - the Anomaloscope is one - which can accurately measure colour vision. But you have to pay for them.
    When I was working professionaly I used to have my eyes checked over once a year. I found that my left eye sees things about 1 unit more magenta than my right - which is b*gger all but I can still see it if I switch between them.
    A close friend and fellow photographer suddenly discovered that he was red/green deficient after more than 25 years. He thought everyone saw trees in various shades of grey!
    He was reconciled to it when he found that one of the ways he could cope with it and get help differentiating between the colours was to wear a red monocle.
    It was still frightening at night when he drove, though. He used to have to guess what colour the traffic lights were :lol:

10. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

my dad's colorblind and from what i understand it seems to be more common in men then women...i also remember taking those colorblind tests at school with the circles of dots and numbers

11. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does anyone else find the irony in JonMikal being color blind??

You really do look at things differently from me!! :D

12. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

I was just going to submit a similar post. I can't understand it :scratch: My question is: how do I go about becoming color deficent ;)