Just developed my first batch of B&W film. Questions though.

I buy FormaFlo from Photographer's formulary. One trick I learned about 40 years ago: Don't just leave it in there for a few seconds. Leave it in for 3 minutes. then when you hang the film it will actually do what its supposed to, dry as a single sheet of water all at once.

When it comes to scanning, take a look at film scanners like the Nikon. The biggest problem you have is your film size. (I think we are talking about 35 mm....) It's so small that its like starting out with two strikes. I have a scanner that can scan 35mm at 8000 api/ppi/dpi of resolution, and do it at 80,000 of optical as well. These aren't cheap, I have it because I scan professionally for a living. However, while the Espon and other flatbeds can do ok with 4x5 and 8x10, they are hard pressed to do well with film that small. They just don't have the resolution, which is down around 2000 or so. The walgreens/walmart type cheap scans are much worse.

The best thing you can do if you want better quality is move up in film size... even medium format, 6x7, for example, has 5 times the film area to work with. Of course, take your time and enjoy your first success.....

Distilled water is probably all in all a better option than photo flo, assuming you have a ready source of distilled water nearby (i.e. a close grocery store that sells it, or a car).

I use distilled water for everything - including Photo-Flo. Probably not really necessary, but I've had water related issues before, so I play it safe now. Distilled water is cheap here (80 cents a gallon) - I've heard that it can be prohibitively expensive in Europe...

I squeegee color film, only because I always get water spots from the stabilizer if I don't - even with distilled water. B&W, I use Photo-Flo in distilled water and let it drip dry - never had a water spot. I want to say that Photo-Flo is about $10 a bottle ... I think I've been working out of the same bottle for around 2 years now. Mix it at the ratio stated on the bottle - 200 parts water to 1 part Photo-Flo. I never reuse it - it's so cheap that I can't even imagine wanting to.

If you're worried about toxicity, wear gloves.

ALWAYS use Photo-flo! I'm not a fan of negative squeegees; all it takes is one little particle of grit to get trapped in the rubber and you have a 36-exposure long scratch. My process was to wash in fresh, running water for 10 minutes, the add two-three drops of Photo-flo to the tank, plunge the roll in and gently swirl it around for a moment, than remove the film from the water, shake, take it off the reel, and hang it to dry. Remember to put a weight on the bottom (I used a couple of plastic clothes pins) so that the film doesn't dry with a severe curl.

This is exactly what I was taught--and do. Then you don't get scratches.

After I wash my negitivesm I get a windsheld wiper and go over themto get any excess water off. migh help. I got a small one for 2.50. good luck

Now THAT is creative, PhotoCalifornia.

Just reading and learning. Your questions help people like me who are thinking of getting into developing.

Now THAT is creative, PhotoCalifornia.

Just reading and learning. Your questions help people like me who are thinking of getting into developing.

I set my whole darkroom on a tight budget. My tables are doors from a habitat from humanity store (5 dollars a piece) and use saw horses for legs(free on cregslist) I got my equipment for 200$ It includes too enlargers, and a lot of other goodies. If you are hoping to get into developing look on cregslist, ebay and thrift shops, and keep an open mind on what you can use ( like doors for tables, and windshield wiper for squeegee) http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/darkroom/349940-got-set-up.html#post3141427 Here are some pictures of my set up

ALWAYS use Photo-flo! I'm not a fan of negative squeegees; all it takes is one little particle of grit to get trapped in the rubber and you have a 36-exposure long scratch. My process was to wash in fresh, running water for 10 minutes, the add two-three drops of Photo-flo to the tank, plunge the roll in and gently swirl it around for a moment, than remove the film from the water, shake, take it off the reel, and hang it to dry. Remember to put a weight on the bottom (I used a couple of plastic clothes pins) so that the film doesn't dry with a severe curl.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEVER squeegee any film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS USE PHOTO FLO! I've been processing film professionally (in photo labs) for 25 years and have never used anything but Photo Flo.

Photo Flo 200..................200 parts water to one part Photo Flo. Set film, still on reel, in the bath for 30 secs. Take off reel, tilt film so the excess flows off and hang to dry. Perfect every time and not a mark or spot on the film.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back