Just getting started (c&c please)

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started getting into photography as a hobby. I have been reading some books (1&2 of the Kelby series and just started the newest Bryan Peterson book) and also learned alot of things here on TPF. I pulled out my old Powershot A520, set it to manual, and started working on exposure and composition, right now I am practicing Filling the frame and ROT, as well as learning to use manual settings. Here's my favorite from this morning, please let me know what you think.

3852171291_4058dc3486.jpg

I like it. Nice detail in the eyes, exposure looks about right. I don't like that you clipped the cat's ear. You also clipped its paw, but I think it's OK because it's not part of the face.

The one thing that sticks out is the cat is looking out of the frame. With the same pose, I would have tried to move the cat to the left side of the frame, looking in.

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about the ear and the paw... I actually ended up cropping the paw after the fact because there was the edge of a flower pot in the bottom right corner that was kind of distracting. Hopefully next time i will see things like that before taking the shot and just move it out of the frame.

I also see that my subject could use some breathing room to the right now that you mention it.

Great job on exposure. I like the pic. The ear being cut off has been mentioned by others, but it was the first thing I saw. I like the cat's expression, it looks like he is about to jump out and pounce on something.

The cat's right paw has some blue around it, I am not sure if that was something left from post processing, or if it is some of the blanket that is in the basket. It just looks a little out of place.

Otherwise, great pic.

-Andy

Thanks Andy.
The blue thing by the paw is part of the pillow. I thought about trying to PP it out, but i'm just not that good (yet... hopefully)

It looks nice, but umm, the question is where is the cat's ear?

Most reactions

Back