Just Getting Started...

Haha, I get that!

You know, I think what has set me back the most is how different people's eyes are and what they like. This is why I ultimately dropped out of graphic design and went into engineering. I remember sitting in 2D Drawing class and we had to tape our work to the wall. The teacher made us critique another student's work and I had to critique a piece that I genuinely liked. I made up some stuff about composition, contrast, and shading techniques on the fruit, but all in all I liked it. The teacher then went on a rampage tearing the girl's work apart (and eventually mine).

I thought to myself that day, "How can someone tear apart another person's work of art when I find it visually pleasing?" That has stuck with me ever since. I see photos on this forum that I think are fantastic and yet, they get ripped apart. And, I see photos that I don't see what's so great about them and they get praised.
All you have to do is say that you like it. Then critique it, or vice versa in this case ==> C&C on a portrait please | Photography Forum

I quite like you, you have thick skin and can take a bashing

Like I said, new to photography, not art in general.

All criticism does is make me want to go grab my camera and take a better picture...

Last edited:
Hum. My hobbies tend to cost me piles of money! I haven't figured out a way around that other than quit that particular hobby. Since that is not an option I will continue to golf, detail cars, and take pictures without charging any one a single cent. Fortunately, I have a steady source of income that affords me the luxury of pursuing my hobbies. Life is great!!

I am of the school of thought that business and pleasure rarely (if ever) mix. If I had to charge for my pictures I could see it sucking every drop of fun out of photography for me. I would either commit 100% to a new photography business or continue to have FUN with my hobby.

These are strictly my opinions and should be taken as such.

Hum. My hobbies tend to cost me piles of money! I haven't figured out a way around that other than quit that particular hobby. Since that is not an option I will continue to golf, detail cars, and take pictures without charging any one a single cent. Fortunately, I have a steady source of income that affords me the luxury of pursuing my hobbies. Life is great!!

I am of the school of thought that business and pleasure rarely (if ever) mix. If I had to charge for my pictures I could see it sucking every drop of fun out of photography for me. I would either commit 100% to a new photography business or continue to have FUN with my hobby.

Photography doesn't need to cost lots of money, it costs me less since I went back to 99% film no more upgrading cameras because I have the perfect cameras for my needs, it only costs lots if your one of those that has to have the brand new model every time it comes out like most on here

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that!

I think I may just keep it a hobby for now. Yes, I do have some technical issues to iron out, and I will get there. I didn't realize that the word business was a hot button issue here. Sounds like it is. I also understand critiquing and how it generally works and I don't have thin skin. This is an internet forum and nothing more. You don't like me or my work? Doesn't change my day one bit.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome and bits of advice.

It's not that "business" is a hot button issue. We would all hate to hear that someone was injured while on a shoot and you lost everything. Because without insurance or being setup correctly as a business, you open yourself up more than you can realize. Not only can someone go after your business and equipment but your home and income can be seized to pay off their medical and legal bills. At least taking a few steps by being legal and having insurance, you protect yourself in the event that something bad should happen....you know...Murphy's Law and all of that. Honestly, none of us want to dissuade you from starting a business, just think it through and how much you want to invest in it and know that if you skirt the basics of setting up a business that you open yourself legally should something go wrong. That's all we're saying.

Photography doesn't need to cost lots of money, it costs me less since I went back to 99% film no more upgrading cameras because I have the perfect cameras for my needs, it only costs lots if your one of those that has to have the brand new model every time it comes out like most on here
I agree. I still shoot film on occasion. unfortunately, for me it costs more to develop than digital. I'm not complaining, it's just how it is. My business supports my hobbies.

Thanks for the continued responses guys.

I think for now I'm going to play it by ear and see how it goes. No need to get too involved yet in expenses because I am only doing family for free at this point and the occasional friend. If it ever turns into sessions with friends' friends, then I'll look into insurance and all. The positive thing is that I'm only really looking at photographing in public places and I plan to have a contract to help disclose everything up front.

I know several people who do this part time and are pretty good at it, but they make no more than $500-800 a year, which really in the grand scheme of it is my goal too. Maybe 1-2 shoots a month is all I aim after at this point. If I get into it and it takes off, then yeah I will spring for a more professional and serious outlook.

After looking at your profile and posts you obviously have an artistic background and ability, sounds like you're working on refreshing or furthering skills with a camera. You can have great ideas but I think it's also necessary to have the technical expertise for those ideas to come thru in photos.

Like the girl in the red candy cane shirt, she's cute as can be and the photo is fun and the quality looks good of her, but the other girl isn't even in focus. It looks like there wasn't enough depth of field for both to be in focus. It might be worth getting out with just your camera and take pictures using various aperture settings etc.

It takes a lot of practice so you get to the point that you know what to do and don't have to think about it too much, you just know it. I think it's a process of getting proficient with the camera, and learning the business aspects of it while you're doing some practice portraits with family, etc. Then go into business, even if it's a sideline, so you can be successful.

After looking at your profile and posts you obviously have an artistic background and ability, sounds like you're working on refreshing or furthering skills with a camera. You can have great ideas but I think it's also necessary to have the technical expertise for those ideas to come thru in photos.

Like the girl in the red candy cane shirt, she's cute as can be and the photo is fun and the quality looks good of her, but the other girl isn't even in focus. It looks like there wasn't enough depth of field for both to be in focus. It might be worth getting out with just your camera and take pictures using various aperture settings etc.

It takes a lot of practice so you get to the point that you know what to do and don't have to think about it too much, you just know it. I think it's a process of getting proficient with the camera, and learning the business aspects of it while you're doing some practice portraits with family, etc. Then go into business, even if it's a sideline, so you can be successful.

Thanks for that! You pretty much hit it on the head from my perspective.

Here is the story of the photo with the "girls" (the one on the left is actually a boy). Neither of the kids wanted anything to do with that shoot. They were the first people to come forward and ask me to take their photos that weren't direct friends or family. Out of 200 or so photos, I got 28 that weren't of them crying or looking scornful. That shot was the shot that the mother loved and she was so happy with it. I posted here because I am new and wanted some thoughts. What sort of threw me was the immediate almost "how dare you post this junk." I also wasn't expecting so many comments on "strange crop" and "get rid of the bench." I wanted the crop the way it was and I wanted the bench in the shot or I wouldn't have put them there....

It was taken with a 55-200 lens at about 175mm. I had her attention for about 20 seconds with the best smile I got all day after a promised lollipop from the parents. That was the best picture because I had the aperture at f4 trying to get a blurry background....well, the foreground was blurry too. Bottom line, the blurry picture of the boy didn't seem to bother the mother and I thought it was a decent composition, but yes I admit the focus is terrible, and I was nearing the end of the focal length of the lens and that didn't help.

I play guitar as well, and I know lots of scales and modes. It's learning when and where to use the scales in a song that is the most difficult part. Same with photography for me so far.

Most reactions

Back